Photo

Share your Rig

share rig Oh wait its... TIMMAH! Timmah?

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#41 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5965 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:52 PM

I'mma bout to experiment with a "DIY Fusion Drive", Fusion Drives are f***ing awesome!!! like the best of both words; speed of the SSD, space of the HDD*

Was also considering if I should play with a eGPU, but laptop's quite old now & not sure the bottlenecks would make the gained performance worth it

*Available on Mac only

#42 PeanutButterCup

PeanutButterCup
  • PSN:El_indian

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:57 PM

what's a DIY fusion drive? A hybrid drive? 

#43 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5965 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

what's a DIY fusion drive? A hybrid drive? 

Sorta but better; it's a mac only thing & you can have new macs shipped with one (at a cost)

The actual Fusion Drives are a 128GB SSD coupled with either a 1TB or 3TB HDD but unlike a Hybrid drive which might give performance boost over HDD but still lacks compared with SSD the Fusion Drive is only a little slower than a top of the range SSD (so probably the equivalent of a mid range or last gen SSD) but still with all that cheap HDD storage space.

Also Hybrid drives don't increase the storage for the SSD i.e. the Fusion drive (1TB+128GB) comes to 1.12TB but the Hybrid drive of the same config will come to only 1TB still because the hybrid is a caching system so the data (most used items) are stored on both the SSD & the HDD unlike the Fusion which only stores data in 1 place (however all data will flow through SSD before getting written to HDD, because speed!)

The reason it's mac only is all the "black magic" is SW based i.e. OS X is the power behind the magic; but given it's SW controlling it this is what enables a DIY solution to be had.

DIY solution is simply a SSD+HDD installed then telling OS X that these 2 should be 1, do your magic & thus a DIY Fusion Drive is born*

Here some graph things if you'd like http://barefeats.com/hard176.html

*This process will erase everything on the drives so make sure you have a backup & recover USB ready to go & process maybe overly simplified here

#44 Catalyst440

Catalyst440
  • Members
  • 163 posts
  • Steam ID:[RGC]Catalyst440
  • PSN:Catalyst440
  • Xbox Live:Catalst440

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:49 PM

Hey lads, Just transferred from the Xbox One Squad (Although i havent been involved with em in a few months.)

So I thought i'd introduce myself with my new rigs specs :)

Intel I7 3.6Ghz Quad Core

Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3 Motherboard

16 GB of RAM by Crucial

Seagate 4TB Barracuda HDD

Blueray drive

EVGA Supernova 650W Power supply

Crucial 256GB SSD

Windows 8.1 64-bit (Using classic shell)

and to top it all off a Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 980GTX

All up it costed me roughly $2500

Im looking at becoming a software developer with some Film inbetween.

Obviously Im pretty into my games aswell. So why not settle for quite a decent build.

Thanks for letting me share  :thumbsup:

Edited by Catalyst440, 13 March 2015 - 06:53 PM.

#45 PeanutButterCup

PeanutButterCup

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:19 PM

top rig mayne. What's up with the handle on your PSU doe? 

#46 Catalyst440

Catalyst440
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

PSU? Maybe its too early for me, but what do you mean?

#47 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5965 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:03 PM

PSU? Maybe its too early for me, but what do you mean?

Think he's talking the metal bar at back of the PSU: Which is usually for relieving stress on the plug, puts the downward gravitation force on the cord rather than directly on the plug (tho not sure it'd work on this unit?)

Pic for reference

9664-1.jpg

#48 Catalyst440

Catalyst440
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:56 PM

Well i can safely say that it does. And rather well in all honesty haha.

#49 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5965 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:28 PM

Well i can safely say that it does. And rather well in all honesty haha.

Yea, in my defence when I made that comment this was the only pic I had seen, it doesn't look so useful on this one (but I could be wrong)

10a-Back.jpg

#50 PeanutButterCup

PeanutButterCup

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:56 PM

Ahh i see what you mean...I guess it's probably useful in some rare circumstances. 

#51 Catalyst440

Catalyst440
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:08 AM

Haha Its okay, If i ever get myself a second 980GTX itll be the first thing I upgrade. Then again ill probably need another Mobo that supports SLI

#52 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9413 posts
  • Steam ID:BanalityDUFF

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:02 PM

so i started looking at parts to throw together a HTPC and realised that having not built a computer in about seven years I have no idea WTF is good and bad these days. Bah!

If you guys could briefly give me the low down on . . .

are intel / nvidia winning in most things? or is a amd / radeon still a goer? (the last pc i built i had a amd/radeon combo which i was happy with but i feel like in recent years radeon has slipped, although not following such things its just the feeling i get from people talking) or is running either cpu brand with either graphics cards also good?

if i went radeon would i be at any real disadvantage over a nvidia card? (only ask because i see people talk a bit about nvidia way more than radeon, and heaps of games are powered by nvidia and such).

i'm not looking to build a beast of a machine. something around the 1000 dollar mark (not counting screen and and such as we'll be running through our tv).

#53 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5965 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

so i started looking at parts to throw together a HTPC and realised that having not built a computer in about seven years I have no idea WTF is good and bad these days. Bah!

are intel / nvidia winning in most things? or is a amd / radeon still a goer? (the last pc i built i had a amd/radeon combo which i was happy with but i feel like in recent years radeon has slipped, although not following such things its just the feeling i get from people talking) or is running either cpu brand with either graphics cards also good?

if i went radeon would i be at any real disadvantage over a nvidia card? (only ask because i see people talk a bit about nvidia way more than radeon, and heaps of games are powered by nvidia and such).

i'm not looking to build a beast of a machine. something around the 1000 dollar mark (not counting screen and and such as we'll be running through our tv).

Intel for CPU, AMD R9 290x seems a popular card so AMD are most definitely worth considering for GFX just not so much for CPU.

#54 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6651 posts
  • Steam ID:AudaciousGnome
  • PSN:AudaciousGnome

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

Intel/Nvidia for a premium build.
AMD/Radeon for a budget build.

Nothing wrong with AMD or Radeon. Just don't seem to get as much fan fair for some reason but they are definitely the best combo if you are after value for money.

#55 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9413 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

snip

snip

thanks guys.

i had always previously used AMD because they were always a bit cheaper than Intel and from my quick search around today it appears to be still the case.

yeah i'm not after anything terribly fancy anyway since it'll be running a small mobo in a htpc case anyway. pretty much every machine i've ever made has run the games of the day on medium so i'm not fussed about future proofing it too badly. from my quick search around it seems it doesn't costs too much to run most of the newer console ports anyway and i'm sure those port recs will more or less remain mostly static if previous generations were anything to go by

#56 BattleSnayke

BattleSnayke

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:48 AM

Just purchased the other day, didn't want anything too over the top as I pretty much just play CS, but I wanted it to run other games if anything else came out that I was interested in.

i7 4790, 8gb ram, 1TB hdd, GTX 960, and planning on getting a 320gb sdd in the near future.

Was a pre-built PC, got it for $1400 new.

Edited by BattleSnayke, 05 May 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#57 PeanutButterCup

PeanutButterCup

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:46 PM

post a pic. 

+ pic inside case. 

#58 BattleSnayke

BattleSnayke

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

No pic inside case at the moment, will get some when I put the SSD in.

Z3wNr8I.jpg

#59 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9413 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:09 PM

as good a place as any to post this i guess . . .

was just playing the evil within and my psu blew up. first time ever that ive had a proper component failure thats not just old age. hoping the psu didn't fry everything else when it decided to die. will have to get a new psu and wait and see.

house now smells like burnt sh*t.

serves me right for buying a cheaper psu. bleh.. id never owned branded psus in the past but in saying that i guess components these days probably draw much more power than they used to

#60 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5965 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:07 AM

Ah fried electronics, what a wonderful smell indeed  :puke:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: share, rig, Oh wait its..., TIMMAH!, Timmah?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users