Photo

Share your Rig

share rig Oh wait its... TIMMAH! Timmah?

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#341 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

They may have something at the end of this week for CES? Im not sure. I didnt notice any sales being better than the other, but if your not in a rush, subscribe to Computer lounge's email, as they often do codes, for 20% off a particular brand or something. 

#342 Outlaw213

Outlaw213

Ghost of Sparta

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1249 posts
  • Steam ID:Outlaw213
  • PSN:Outlaw213

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

also still thinking about whether to go Intel CPU or Ryzen CPU. Anyone have an opinion on this? If I was just gaming then Intel would be the obvious choice, but Ill also likely do some video and photo editing, streaming etc so the Ryzen seems a better choice for that considering the gain in those apps vs the very small drop in gaming fps (or gain if game is coded to utilize the extra cores/threads).

If you're going to be multi-tasking and using your PC for different things then maybe go with Ryzen 8 core / 16 threads? Their next-gen Ryzen (Zen+ 12nm) will be available in April.

#343 SpawnSeekSlay

SpawnSeekSlay

Filthy Casual Console Peasant

• Members
  • 1422 posts
  • Steam ID:SpawnSeekSlay
  • PSN:SpawnSeekSlay

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

also still thinking about whether to go Intel CPU or Ryzen CPU. Anyone have an opinion on this? If I was just gaming then Intel would be the obvious choice, but Ill also likely do some video and photo editing, streaming etc so the Ryzen seems a better choice for that considering the gain in those apps vs the very small drop in gaming fps (or gain if game is coded to utilize the extra cores/threads).

If you're going to be multi-tasking and using your PC for different things then maybe go with Ryzen 8 core / 16 threads? Their next-gen Ryzen (Zen+ 12nm) will be available in April.

Yeah I basically answered my own question.

Looking at the CES announcements I might go with the current gen 1700x or 1800x considering the 20-30% price drop they are getting from AMD (hopefully that converts to NZ stores also?!). And will skip Zen+ and wait for Zen2. I dont think Zen+ will give enough of an increase from the premium you'll be paying esp for what I need.

#344 Outlaw213

Outlaw213

Ghost of Sparta

• Members
  • 1249 posts
  • Steam ID:Outlaw213
  • PSN:Outlaw213

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

Looking at the CES announcements I might go with the current gen 1700x or 1800x considering the 20-30% price drop they are getting from AMD (hopefully that converts to NZ stores also?!). And will skip Zen+ and wait for Zen2. I dont think Zen+ will give enough of an increase from the premium you'll be paying esp for what I need.

Hmm, I think Ryzen+ will be a decent improvement over Ryzen, the price for Ryzen+ should be the same as what Ryzen was at launch, if you're in no hurry might be worth waiting to see how much of an improvement it actually is?

If you want something now then Ryzen will do just fine too :)

Also, Intel CPUs are suffering from two major security bugs at the moment, Meltdown and Spectre.

#345 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:05 PM

Hmm, I think Ryzen+ will be a decent improvement over Ryzen, the price for Ryzen+ should be the same as what Ryzen was at launch, if you're in no hurry might be worth waiting to see how much of an improvement it actually is?

Also, Intel CPUs are suffering from two major security bugs at the moment, Meltdown and Spectre.
From what I have seen it effects both but is particularly dangerous on intel as can be done remotely where as amd you need physical access to the machine.
Should be hot fixed today but time will tell

#346 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 6005 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

From what I have seen it effects both but is particularly dangerous on intel as can be done remotely where as amd you need physical access to the machine.
Should be hot fixed today but time will tell

Meltdown only affects Intel far as I've seen whereas Spectre affects both (or the other way round, can't remember which is which)

#347 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:06 PM

Meltdown is the worst bug, and is Intel only, but is the easier to be fixed, Spectre is Intel, AMD but is harder to exploit, and also harder to fix. It is expected to be the main issue in the long term. 

Saying that, Ryzen is not out yet, so AMD may be able to fix it on the hardware side easier than with a software patch. 

There are alot of videos, and articles about it, but generally I gather there wont be much effect on personal computers performance wise, but there may be at 100%cpu usage or server side. And that is mainly for Intel, and Meltdown. 

https://www.theguard...flaws-explainer

#348 SpawnSeekSlay

SpawnSeekSlay

• Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

Looking at UserBenchmarks, but leaning back to Intel when I think about gaming and what Ill spend most of my time doing which will be single and quad core apps more than multithreaded ones or the less instances Ill need that.

Compared a i7 8700k vs Ryzen 7 1700x.

So are these CPU security flaws i take it going to be a problem for me on a home PC?

#349 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

Pb has a storage sale tonight.

https://www.pbtech.c...E md_181255.jpg

#350 SpawnSeekSlay

SpawnSeekSlay

• Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

Pb has a storage sale tonight.

https://www.pbtech.c...E md_181255.jpg

Yeah just got the email. Thanks for the heads up Adam.

Looking at the M.2's I want its not much saving (<$20), and still cheaper elsewhere on pricespy.

#351 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

Ahh ok. I went with a 250gig m2 evo and a 1terribite evo ssd. Works well, GTA Still takes just aslong as ps4 on inital load though it feels like. 

As for security features, Im not sure what is going to happen really, but Digital foundry did a test video. 

Edited by AdamC, 11 January 2018 - 09:02 PM.

#352 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:48 AM

Anybody use Vive Rift or Mixed Reality/?

I keep looking at the Vive Pro or Mixed Reality, Samsungs one. I mainly want for games like Elite Dangerous, Racing games etc. Just looking for peoples thoughts on them so far.

#353 JDogg

JDogg

[NZGR]

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4899 posts
  • PSN:JorDogg

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

Too much monies for me!

#354 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

That's the problem, and especially since I haven't even seen somewhere Demoing them, I am very hesitant to drop that much without trying it first, seeing how they go with glasses etc. But I kinda want one before the end of the year still... haha. 

Edited by AdamC, 14 January 2018 - 11:58 AM.

#355 JDogg

JDogg

[NZGR]

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4899 posts
  • PSN:JorDogg

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

Can get a pretty mean upgrade on my PC for that price!

#356 SpawnSeekSlay

SpawnSeekSlay

• Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:41 AM

Ill be keen on that wireless Vive maybe in a few years, Ill wait for tech to be better which looks like it will be with a wireless high res version, so long as it doesnt blow the budget.

Personally playing a mates PSVR the other weekend, I like it but probably not enough to buy one and use it alot. I know Vive is a step up and I think a wireless (so i can stand and move) and high res version is the only way Id consider throwing down.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: share, rig, Oh wait its..., TIMMAH!, Timmah?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users