Minister of Sinister

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 8340 posts
  • Steam ID:ZombieRawkMachine
  • PSN:ZombieRwkMachine
  • Xbox Live:DrSinIsIn

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

What's this? I'm just a silver member. Righto, AddBlock, where the f*** you at...

Was hoping to be Aluminum myself.

Start our own wee club: Aluminium-ati.

Whoever said you aren't a genius needs to be shot!

#42 Jaz

Jaz

#SILVERSCUM

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4318 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

Gonna need a f*** tonne of ammo.

#43 Xenojay

Xenojay

Subliminal. Liminal. And Superliminal.

• Tester
  • 11920 posts
  • Steam ID:N/A
  • PSN:Xenojay
  • Wii:N/A
  • Xbox Live:Xenojay

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

Is he trying to get like...club points or patches or something?

#44 fifamessi

fifamessi

"fifamessi is why I come to NZGamer" - Emz 2013

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Tester
  • 7019 posts
  • PSN:fifamessi

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

The day I added Ad-block was the day I disabled it on NZGamer, and most other sites too.

YouTube is the main reason really. I want to watch a 14 second video of a goal, I don't want to watch a 30 second McDonalds ad to get to it, sorry.

#45 nFusion

nFusion

Snow season is coming!

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • PSN:nFusion_Nz

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

I look up and see the red hand running now. But seeing as you've asked so nicely, I'll unblock from this domain  :thumbsup:

#46 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10909 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

Oh snap, didnt even notice I had ad blocking on.

Turned off :)

Do you get more money if we click ads?

#47 Handankel

Handankel
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Steam ID:handankel
  • PSN:handankel

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

I will happily disable the ad blocker on your domains.

#48 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9413 posts
  • Steam ID:BanalityDUFF

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

YouTube is the main reason really. I want to watch a 14 second video of a goal, I don't want to watch a 30 second McDonalds ad to get to it, sorry.

wait. what! 

i've never used an Adblocker because i just ignore all the ads anyway, but you're leading me to believe there are adblockers that can block bullshit YouTube ads? if this is the case, you Sir are a gentleman and a scholar!

/goes to google these fabled Adblockers

#49 ZombieRawkMachine

ZombieRawkMachine

Minister of Sinister

• Members
  • 8340 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

wait. what! 

i've never used an Adblocker because i just ignore all the ads anyway, but you're leading me to believe there are adblockers that can block bullshit YouTube ads? if this is the case, you Sir are a gentleman and a scholar!

Yup, it has led to the current trend of youetubers b*tching about it and some have left the site all together.

#50 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12455 posts
  • PSN:foxymcstupid

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

wait. what! 

Yup, it has led to the current trend of youetubers b*tching about it and some have left the site all together.

yeah adblocks put a lot of people out of pocket actually. a lot of online businesses (nzgamer and myself for example) provide free content to users to generate impressions from ads. when people block ads, from the users perspective theyve ignored an annoying ad. from the content providers perspective, theyve spent time and money on a user who doesnt provide them with anything in return.

so yeah, its fair that youtubers wouldnt bother. i mean, if you took say, a 50% pay cut at your job, would you stick around?

#51 Ubercuber

Ubercuber

Runner up Best Ubercuber

• Members
  • 4069 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

Depends if in my job I spend the first hour of the day running around yelling about products no one wants to hear about before doing my actual work.

#52 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12455 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Depends if in my job I spend the first hour of the day running around yelling about products no one wants to hear about before doing my actual work.

how about if thats the only hour you get paid for?

#53 Ubercuber

Ubercuber

Runner up Best Ubercuber

• Members
  • 4069 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Then its not really a job then.

#54 ZombieRawkMachine

ZombieRawkMachine

Minister of Sinister

• Members
  • 8340 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

This.

If I actually ever saw an add that applied to me or cared about and wasn't 3 and a half minutes of intrusiveness (and waste of broadband) then I wouldn't mind. But I have never seen and add online that makes me want to buy a product, NZG adds included, nothing they try sell me I care about, but the adds themselves are small and out of the way so since they asked I disabled it.

And I have gone weeks without getting paid, turning up day after day, working just as hard as I previously was.

#55 oconnomiyaki

oconnomiyaki

Iconoclast

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 3759 posts
  • PSN:Donutta
  • Xbox Live:oconnomiyaki

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

TBH I wouldn't mind watching a short advert before watching some original content from a YouTube channel. What I hate is when you get a minute-long advert in front of a video on some random channel just because it contains some music and the RIAA wants its pound of flesh.

#56 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12455 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

Then its not really a job then.

lol pretty much.

And I have gone weeks without getting paid, turning up day after day, working just as hard as I previously was.

and how would you feel about being the one not paying someone who has been doing the work?

#57 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9413 posts
  • Steam ID:BanalityDUFF

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

wait. what! 

yeah adblocks put a lot of people out of pocket actually. a lot of online businesses (nzgamer and myself for example) provide free content to users to generate impressions from ads. when people block ads, from the users perspective theyve ignored an annoying ad. from the content providers perspective, theyve spent time and money on a user who doesnt provide them with anything in return.

so yeah, its fair that youtubers wouldnt bother. i mean, if you took say, a 50% pay cut at your job, would you stick around?

i primarily use youtube to watch trailers for movies and games and the occasional video off reddit when i'm a bit bored. so skipping ads to watch an ad seems a fair trade :)

i've seen a few youtube people, i don't even know if they have a collective term, people like TotalBiscuit, and I don't really understand why people watch that sh*t. 30 minutes of some dude talking about a game, sheet. I mean, all the power to him and other people like him but its a very weird trend to me. i can understand that people like him make their livings doing that . . . but at the same time they chose to do it on that specific platform and so have to run the risk that people will skip ads and effect them that way. it's not entirely 'fair' but its the risk they run for greater exposure.

not an entirely fair comparison, but they could be like Kevin Smith and create a closed means of going digital (SModCast) in which they have greater control over their product and how it is exposed to the internet wilds.

that said, it's also a generational thing in that my generation (heck, the same generation making a living making youtube videos and the like) grew up avoiding television (we downloaded tv shows rather than watch them with ads on tv; we pirated music rather than listen to the 'Top 20' on the radio or even the tv). we're used to avoiding ads and getting sh*t for free. it does put the onus on content creators to think a bit broader about how they approach their audience - which sadly doesn't work out for everyone. Again, Kevin Smith is a wonderful example, doing lots of live shows, selling merch, etc. He's not the only person making a good go at exploiting the digital age he's just someone I like :)

who knows, in 12 months the whole scene might be different. Steam is apparently getting television and movies quite soon which may provide a platform for people like TotalBiscuit to sell premium versions of their show, maybe a subscription?, and people could access him that way.

i don't mean to say content providers shouldn't make a dime, i just think it's silly to not expect people to block unwanted content if they have the means of doing so and that in the face of such a reality broader approaches to revenue generation need to be approached.

and i just spent time writing that instead of finding an adblocker! ha!

#58 Ubercuber

Ubercuber

Runner up Best Ubercuber

• Members
  • 4069 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

Yep the whole ad focused revenue model is already outdated. Honestly, I'd be happy to pay a fee for premium, regular content. I mean I watch quite a bit of stuff on Game trailers, and I'd be ok throwing them a few bucks.

Hell, NZG probably should have done that here when they implemented the VIP system (have a top tier platinum level or something). I know a lot of youngsters visit here and other places online and might not be able to afford it...but maybe that's a good thing. Teach them that things cost money and they aren't owed entertainment. Try and change this entitled generation.

Subscription services are the way of the near future. I've got the Marvel Unlimited one for $10 a month and it's awesome.

Edited by Ubercuber, 14 August 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#59 acedumbunny

acedumbunny

For science.

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 3484 posts
  • Steam ID:Acedumbunny
  • PSN:Acedumbunny
  • Xbox Live:Acedumbunny

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

There are sites like Patron, that many webcomic makers use, in order to secure weekly funding from their fans. When they reach a certain amount of revenue per week they give bonus content, such as extra comics. They have a video/film section as well, so Youtube video makers could probably use that to source funds if they really want to.

#60 ZombieRawkMachine

ZombieRawkMachine

Minister of Sinister

• Members
  • 8340 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:34 AM

A lot of the people I enjoy watching have a patron while some of the others just do a shout out of that "Hey look its audible" thing which is fine. Count Jackula does 40 min to hour long movie reviews generally broken into two parts at the half way point of both those parts he puts the add in which he has filmed himself so it still has his brand of humor and what not in it which I think is a great way to go about it.

The revenue model is terrible especially if you are an animator, google totally f***s you in the ass if you are an animator on youtube.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NZGamer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users