• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#341 tuftsdude

tuftsdude
  • Steam ID:Tuftsdude
  • PSN:Tuftsdude
  • Xbox Live:Achedmars64

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

Sidescrollers and Top Down games. I prefer to control the camera around the character in a 3D gameplay environment.

Exceptions which I did find fun would be Shank, Mark of the Ninja, Limbo, Valiant Hearts, The Cave, The Puppeteer and Sonic Generations to an extent.

You should try Dust: An Elysian Tale. Worth every penny imo.

#342 Blackfox

Blackfox
  • PSN:Black-fox-nz, Mobile-Suit-Man

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

it all comes down to personal preference, and what you want to get out of gaming, While i love gaming in general, i would like to give something a go before condemning it, i've played minecraft with the the kids, and i really liked how it got them moving creatively. i dont buy first person shooters as i just get motion sickness, i dont detest them as i've never played them. thus i'm stuck with mainly 3rd person games. I love stories, immersion and innovative gameplay. i dont fit myself in the sports gamer demographic, probably because im not much of a sportsfan.... . they're just too repetitive, gave up playing that. I had a taste of a MMORPG and thought what was the point? time could be spent elsewhere.

#343 Unfathomable-Ruination

Unfathomable-Ruination

Trophy Hunter Extraordinaire

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1242 posts
  • PSN:SecondGenesis
  • Xbox Live:GoreFlame

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

I usually refuse to buy games with multiplayer trophies. I'm a bit of a completionist, and sometimes the servers have shut down by the time I get to playing a game, or they have absurd requiremens, like finish in the top 1% worldwide for instance.

#344 ironfist92

ironfist92
  • PSN:ironfist92

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

Games with season passes, planned DLC, expansions, all that BS etc.

If you're not going to provide me the full game, dont expect me to pay you the full price. I usually wait for the "GOTY" Editions with all bundled content for a cheaper price down the line.

#345 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5375 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:53 PM

Yeh still pokemon go still. They've made a big focus on raiding but limited to one free one per day, requiring microtransactions for more.

The mind boggles when considering how much the regular players must be throwing into the game.

#346 Deanology

Deanology
  • PSN:Yes

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:56 AM

I refuse to buy microtransactions..

I'm getting to the point where I am about to put a ban on ubisoft.

Those clowns are taking the p*ss.

#347 Unfathomable-Ruination

Unfathomable-Ruination

Trophy Hunter Extraordinaire

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1242 posts
  • PSN:SecondGenesis
  • Xbox Live:GoreFlame

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:10 AM

MMO's for sure

#348 ironfist92

ironfist92

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

MMO's for sure

Same here

#349 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:59 PM

Figured I'd bump this for NBA 2k18 and Shadow of War. Micro Transaction city. 

Hell 2k even started pressuring a Review site because they gave 2k18 nba a low score because of the microtransactions.

#350 that_black_guy

that_black_guy
  • PSN:that_black_guy

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:11 PM

Yea this 2k is way worse than previous games. The worst part is the amount of the community that forks out for it though

#351 nigelt74

nigelt74

Lord of the Gurning Brigade

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Steam ID:STEAM_0:0:92659040
  • Xbox Live:nigelt74

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

Stardew Valley? as i had a key for it, and my kids when looking at videos online said it looked crap, so i gave it away to someone who actually wanted it, now of course my kids have suddenly decided they want the blasted thing.

#352 tuftsdude

tuftsdude
  • Steam ID:Tuftsdude
  • PSN:Tuftsdude
  • Xbox Live:Achedmars64

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:38 AM

MMO's for sure

Same here
Why's that, out of curiosity?

#353 ironfist92

ironfist92

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

Dark Souls/Demon's Souls/Bloodborne

I dont have the time or effort to keep dying and replaying the same mission a hundred times over.

#354 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5375 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

I dont have the time or effort to keep dying and replaying the same mission a hundred times over.

? Do you just want to complete a game on the first play and be done with it?
I think of difficult games with long play time as like the "best value."

Edited by emetic, 27 November 2017 - 10:51 PM.

#355 ironfist92

ironfist92

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

Is that not the point? To complete a game? I dont watch a movie and keep rewinding it every five minutes. I find value in great stories/world/characters and gameplay which doesnt punish me for not grinding out days worth of xp just to be able to progress to the next section.

#356 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• Members
  • 4498 posts
  • Steam ID:mvon007
  • PSN:mvon007
  • Xbox Live:mvon007

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Absolutely not. I tend to avoid story driven games for their one play factor. Seems a lesser return on investment, and I generally dislike the way they tell stories anyway, especially when there is more time in cutscenes than in gameplay. Having said that, I'm also not really interested in the excessively difficult titles like Dark Souls. Cuphead gets away with it for its bright and lively mood :)

The more replay value or just content in the game, the better, even if there are grinds, but proper grinds should really only be in multiplayer titles, so there is even an almost tangible benefit to them, whether just something to show off in an MMO, or an actual better piece of gear, or vanity item or title.

"Finishing" games seems a shame most of the time.

#357 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 11206 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

I do like the varying opinions on the best value of games.

I love short story focused games, and my biggest annoyance with Ascree Origins was the requirement to do side missions to advance the story because I needed leveling.

Personally I like a lot of variation in games, so I like to be able to finish one and move on to the next, which is why indie games are awesome sauce as they are more affordable.

But I can completely appreciate people wanting the most bang for their buck.  5 games a year is a lot more affordable than 50, and it is an expensive hobby for me, but I just love games, and variety in them :)

#358 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• Members
  • 4498 posts
  • Steam ID:mvon007
  • PSN:mvon007
  • Xbox Live:mvon007

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:21 AM

Curiously, the changes in Ass Origins actually piqued my interest in the series for the first time, with the idea of more time investment. But I'm also a bit annoyed with that concept in a single player title, after so many years of WoW. Even with the subscription model, that was for sure the best budget entertainment, as you never needed any other game. And now we have classic servers coming....

I do hear you on the indies though, except that my favourites I have played through multiple times :)

#359 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5375 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:24 AM

Is that not the point? To complete a game? I dont watch a movie and keep rewinding it every five minutes. I find value in great stories/world/characters and gameplay which doesnt punish me for not grinding out days worth of xp just to be able to progress to the next section.
Ah ok, that's all good. I guess it depends what you want to get out of a game and what you actually like about gaming. I play the games where I like the gameplay, ones I can pick up and play when I want, so it's kind of annoying if I ever get to the end.
This means I play more games like Gran Turismo and Rocksmith where I can just potter away doing laps to pass the time, or Dark Souls where I can ... spend an hour being stuck trying to get past a bunch of monsters that are too tough. It sounds bad like that but it's a pastime, I'm not aiming to finish it. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users