• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Gonzala

Gonzala
  • Members
  • 1162 posts
  • PSN:Gonzala137

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

I'm looking at upgrading my HDD in my 12GB PS3. 

I have had 4 or 5 games stored on there no worries at all.

But then I recently purchased GT5 and it's demanding heaps of storage space... even after deleting all my other data.

So do I need a new HDD and an HDD Caddy such as these....? 

http://www.mightyape...a-PS3/18625750/

http://www.mightyape...Caddy/20978190/

Cheers for any advice...

#2 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 2982 posts
  • Steam ID:godfathergee
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

yep, they'll do the job

#3 LoftyDog

LoftyDog
  • Members
  • 256 posts
  • PSN:sharkalopodous

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

I'm looking at upgrading my HDD in my 12GB PS3. 

I have had 4 or 5 games stored on there no worries at all.

But then I recently purchased GT5 and it's demanding heaps of storage space... even after deleting all my other data.

So do I need a new HDD and an HDD Caddy such as these....? 

http://www.mightyape...a-PS3/18625750/

Cheers for any advice...

If you have an old laptop sitting around that you aren't using just pop the HDD out of that and it should work fine. They all use a universal 2.5" SATA that works with the PS3

#4 Gonzala

Gonzala
  • Members
  • 1162 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thanks guys. 

I think I'd be better off getting a 1TB card Lofty - the laptop I'm using now (soon to be replaced) only has a 60GB HDD... haha.

#5 TenguNZ

TenguNZ
  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • Steam ID:Tengunz1
  • PSN:broeyimjoey

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

You can get away with not using a caddy.  But for piece of mind its worth getting one. They are only around $20 plus shipping. Or sometimes pop up on Trade Me.

#6 MatEPoon

MatEPoon
  • Members
  • 158 posts
  • PSN:matpoo

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

Mighty Ape have em for $17.99:

#7 fauzman

fauzman

fauzman

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • PSN:fauzman

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:59 AM

You can get away with not using a caddy.  But for piece of mind its worth getting one. They are only around $20 plus shipping. Or sometimes pop up on Trade Me.

How do you install a hdd without a caddy? My nephew bought a 12GB and I wanted to give him my 40gb hard drive (40 is still better than 12 flash) but noticed there was no bracket for mounting (and yes i tried to get the hdd in there regardless) . If there is a way to get the hdd in there without the caddy then let me know.

#8 TenguNZ

TenguNZ
  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • Steam ID:Tengunz1
  • PSN:broeyimjoey

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

How do you install a hdd without a caddy? My nephew bought a 12GB and I wanted to give him my 40gb hard drive (40 is still better than 12 flash) but noticed there was no bracket for mounting (and yes i tried to get the hdd in there regardless) . If there is a way to get the hdd in there without the caddy then let me know.

I would only recommend as a temporary measure until you get an actual caddy. Buy there are Youtube videos that can show you. Basically you insert the HDD and use cardboard or similar to hold HDD in place. I did it while I waited for my caddy to arrive. Worked fine but like I said I would not recommend for a long term solution :)

#9 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

• Members
  • 1080 posts
  • Steam ID:Monkeyman_707
  • PSN:Monkeyman_707

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

Im also looking to replace my ps3's hard drive as the old ones gone crazy, so are you guys saying that any hard drive will work if i have the caddy thingy mabob? 

#10 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 2982 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

Im also looking to replace my ps3's hard drive as the old ones gone crazy, so are you guys saying that any hard drive will work if i have the caddy thingy mabob? 

You only need the caddy if you gat a 12GB any of the norm 40, 80, 120, 250, 500GB variants have the caddy already

And any 9.5mm 2.5" SATA HDD's will work, yes

#11 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

• Members
  • 1080 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

You only need the caddy if you gat a 12GB any of the norm 40, 80, 120, 250, 500GB variants have the caddy already

Thanks  :thumbsup:

hay while i'm at it, do you know if i can restore a ps3 back up onto a new hard drive? or if not how i can get the saves across with only one ps3?

#12 nimrod76

nimrod76

Arse Hat

• Tester
  • 18425 posts
  • PSN:Nimrod76

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

hay while i'm at it, do you know if i can restore a ps3 back up onto a new hard drive? or if not how i can get the saves across with only one ps3?

From memory you can back up everything to an external then transfer to the new drive once done, it's been a while since I did it though so I could be lying to you. My first thought was that you can't transfer your saves so it is pretty likely I am lying... sorry.

#13 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 2982 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

From memory you can back up everything to an external then transfer to the new drive once done, it's been a while since I did it though so I could be lying to you. My first thought was that you can't transfer your saves so it is pretty likely I am lying... sorry.

Yea, think there might be a couple of early games where the saves don't like being transferred? could be wrong but effectively take any non-game media off the console (i.e. transfer to ext then delete of HDD) if possible as this will speed up backup & restore.

Then have ext HDD same size or bigger than the PS3 HDD formatted in FAT32 use backup utility 

Then goto accounts & deregister the PS3 (it counts a new HDD as a new PS3)

Have latest FW on a USB stick

install new HDD & do FW upgrade with the pre-loaded USB stick

Then restore backup & activate PS3

It's very time consuming I suggest if it's of decent size already letting the backup/restore run overnight (can't remember which of the 2 is longest)

#14 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

• Members
  • 1080 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

Yea, think there might be a couple of early games where the saves don't like being transferred? could be wrong but effectively take any non-game media off the console (i.e. transfer to ext then delete of HDD) if possible as this will speed up backup & restore.
Then have ext HDD same size or bigger than the PS3 HDD formatted in FAT32 use backup utility 
Then goto accounts & deregister the PS3 (it counts a new HDD as a new PS3)
Have latest FW on a USB stick
install new HDD & do FW upgrade with the pre-loaded USB stick
Then restore backup & activate PS3

It's very time consuming I suggest if it's of decent size already letting the backup/restore run overnight (can't remember which of the 2 is longest)
Thanks guys, I appreciate it

Faith in the Internet restored, although perhaps I should try it before I say that :P

#15 Gonzala

Gonzala
  • Members
  • 1162 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

Sweet.... heaps of space now!  :evil:

#16 fauzman

fauzman

fauzman

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • PSN:fauzman

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

I would only recommend as a temporary measure until you get an actual caddy. Buy there are Youtube videos that can show you. Basically you insert the HDD and use cardboard or similar to hold HDD in place. I did it while I waited for my caddy to arrive. Worked fine but like I said I would not recommend for a long term solution :)

Thanks. Its a bit cheap of sony to have an empty hdd slot without a caddy but I guess this sirt of thing is why the superslim is so cheap.

#17 Deanology

Deanology

Dino

• Members
  • 6671 posts
  • PSN:Yes

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

I borrowed my mates HDD from his 40gig PS3 when it packed up.

The bracket doesn't work with the super-slim.

I ended up wedging it in, safe enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users