brettz0r

Gamer / Event Host

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Gaming Night Host
  • 2358 posts
  • PSN:BrettzOr

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

5439d1368792307-947147_577005845666990_4

Sony and Polyphony Digital have released GT Academy 2013 as a free download from the PSN Store.
Since NZ has been left of the list off countries that can participate, NZ Gamer has decided to give out prizes to those who post up their times on here!
These prizes are yet to be soughted but there will be a main prize for whoever can post the fastest time on a full lap of Silverstone in this yellow 370Z.
Prizes will also be given away at random to other participants aswell, just for adding to the conversation and posting up your best times
2008-Nissan-370Z-GT-Academy-Tuned-GT6.jp

Are you the fastest?
Get going and race to victory.
Post your times and your PSN handle on this thread before the 29.07.2013 and see how you rank against fellow NZ Gamers!

Final Results: This event is now closed.

rd12zils.0q0.jpg

Congratulations to Sidawg2!

Sidawg2 came through with a final time of 2.18.642 which tops 4th in NZ! 
Closely followed by BlazingBullet, who only trailed by the smallest of margins of 0.101!

Since both of these guys set unreachable times by my standards - I think they both deserve prizes..
Sidawg2 wins himself a copy of Little Big Planet Karting
Blazing wins himself a 90 day PS+ code

Thanks for everyone else who has participated - I wish we had prizes for everyone but sadly we do not. Better luck next time and feel free to join our weekly races on Thursday nights, where you may get the chance to more prizes

#2 tuftsdude

tuftsdude
  • Steam ID:Tuftsdude
  • PSN:Tuftsdude
  • Xbox Live:Achedmars64

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

Great idea!

I think we all know who's gonna be first *cough**sidawg*

Also @OP: their*

#3 brettz0r

brettz0r

Gamer / Event Host

• Gaming Night Host
  • 2358 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Haha. Thanks for pointing that out - I have edited that now. Just got home after a 13 hr day, I think I am allowed to make some mistakes if I want to  :cool:

Sidawg is the reason why participation prizes have been included in this challenge, otherwise people would get bored before they even started as they know they wouldn't stand a chance lol ;)

#4 heavyrocks

heavyrocks

Klaatu Barada Nikto

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

I'm gonno download it tomorrow and have afew cracks at it, will be my first time playing a actual driving simulator, hopefully its not to much of a jolt to the system.

So do you racing guys here at nzgamer use wheel/pedal setups? how much of a real advantage do they give over a controller if any.

I also imagined them being sorta awkward to handle without building some sort of housing unit or getting something like

vrc-logitech-g27.jpg

That looks fun as hell

#5 tuftsdude

tuftsdude
  • Steam ID:Tuftsdude
  • PSN:Tuftsdude
  • Xbox Live:Achedmars64

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

Yeah I recently got a Logitech gt racing wheel and it makes the game harder but more fun.

I extremely suck...

Edit:I needed a new setup because of the racing wheel and pedal. Will post it up sometime.

Edited by tuftsdude, 03 July 2013 - 10:54 PM.

#6 brettz0r

brettz0r

Gamer / Event Host

• Gaming Night Host
  • 2358 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

I'm gonno download it tomorrow and have afew cracks at it, will be my first time playing a actual driving simulator, hopefully its not to much of a jolt to the system.

So do you racing guys here at nzgamer use wheel/pedal setups? how much of a real advantage do they give over a controller if any.

I also imagined them being sorta awkward to handle without building some sort of housing unit or getting something like

vrc-logitech-g27.jpg

That looks fun as hell

Some of us have wheel set ups (I can think of 5 off the top of my head)
You definitely need to set up your own rig (like photo) for it to be effective. I tried originally just attaching my G25 Wheel to a table and using the floor grips on the pedal to play Gt5 on, it was pretty bad.
I now have a "put together in 10 minutes" rig that suits me perfectly (Will take/post a photo tomorrow night). Makes it much more fun.

I find I get quicker times with my wheel but its harder to control a slide / correct over steer.

Triumphmad has a mean homemade rig. you should definitely take a photo or two and post them Triumph. I am very jellous of your dedicated gaming room with your rig in it!

PS - sad thing about GT academy, you need to do about 4x slow races before you can race on the Silverstone Track.

#7 Kiwi08

Kiwi08
  • Steam ID:Kiwi_Blue
  • PSN:Kiwi161
  • Xbox Live:Everton Kiwi

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

I haven't achieved a gold trophy yet  :unsure:

#8 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan
  • Steam ID:Monkeyman_707
  • PSN:Monkeyman_707
  • Xbox Live:MonkeyManRacing

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

I really want to join in, but internet caps  :thumbsdown_original:

A competition is excuse enough to use up the internets though i think  :P

also i use a controller because i had a wheel on ps2 and it was rather annoying (admittedly it was crap compared to modern ones) and money

how do you build your own set up, how much does it cost?

#9 oh2bme

oh2bme

Average

• Members
  • 2623 posts
  • PSN:oh2bme
  • Xbox Live:SwimmingEmu3894

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Depends on wheels, chairs ec etc I imagine you could probably do one for under a few hundred but in my opinion you need a good set up. I would but don't have the room anymore but I would get a G27 and the $499 chair setup off trademe so about $700-800 on the other end of the spectrum in the UK you can buy a F1 car shell set up for your living room with 3 monitors were the windshield should be for a mere £120,000 or thereabouts.
For the trademe chair
http://www.trademe.c...n-609079675.htm

Or get someone with building knowledge to guide you on how :)

Edited by oh2bme, 04 July 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#10 kiwiatlarge

kiwiatlarge

kiwiatlarge

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 1530 posts
  • PSN:kiwiatlarge
  • Xbox Live:kiwiatlarge

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

That's mighty good of you NZG.... :)

and I too are a few seconds off Sidawg in the trials that I've done.... ;)

#11 Sidawg2

Sidawg2
  • PSN:sidawg2
  • Xbox Live:sidawg2

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

I am using the controller at the moment, just realised last few times I've been doing it with all the driving aids on :/

I wouldn't say its a foregone conclusion but it'll take a really good lap to top me :)

Sitting on 2 19.034 at the moment

I'll post a photo of my wheel setup when I get home, its a g27 on a foldaway table thing. Does the trick. 

#12 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

hmmmmm i hadnt looked at driving aids but my best so far is 1.22.6 but i should be able to beat that by a little bit, nothing close to sigh dog though
please teach me the ways sigh dog

#13 xmorph

xmorph

Praise the Derp

• Members
  • 768 posts
  • Steam ID:Xen0m0rph3
  • PSN:GingerLeopard
  • Wii:Xen0m0rph3
  • Xbox Live:Xen0m0rph3

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

Haven't raged over played GT since the first one :whistle:  Maybe this will be a good chance to give the series another shot :)

#14 Sidawg2

Sidawg2

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

Feather the throttle, make sure you enter/exit corners smooth, make sure you have no wheelspin, that's all there is to it :P doing that is easier said than done!

My times 

#1 - 34.381

#2 - 41.655 

#3 - 25.408 

#4 - 34.433 

Main event - 2 18.816 

Then the two Nissan GTR's

15th Anniv #1 - 59.694

" " #2 - 1 09.943

Edited by Sidawg2, 05 July 2013 - 12:22 AM.

#15 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5356 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

I had a go today but couldn't put down a decent lap.

I'm liking the new lighting engine, for sure, and there's something different and cool about the car.

I was having massive trouble with understeer today theough; it just occurred to me that maybe i had STM on or something. Maybe also TCS, idk.

#16 BlazingBullet

BlazingBullet
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

Hi guys, I was googling this competition when your site has come up and just wanted to sign up! I'm glad there are some kiwis out there having a decent go. :) Does anyone have any decent tips on getting cops (spelling) corner right? I just understeer like crazy.. and thats where most of the time is lost on my lap... :(

#17 oh2bme

oh2bme

Average

• Members
  • 2623 posts
  • PSN:oh2bme
  • Xbox Live:SwimmingEmu3894

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:49 AM

Best I can manage was 2.28.???? That was when I took off the traction control which was on 7! And up'd my sensitivity to 7 will try again tomorrow.

The interior of the 370 is very swish I just wish that damned clock would be real time it's not far off I think 1/2 an hour last time I played lol

Edited by oh2bme, 06 July 2013 - 01:50 AM.

#18 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'm gonna be so sick of silver stone by the time the actual game comes out.

And it is so hard to put in the perfect lap, I can deffinitely go faster in spots but can't get round an entire lap perfectly

#19 Sidawg2

Sidawg2

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Copse is the old first corner isn't it, before the Esses?

Brake hard, down one gear, drift into the apex, there's two wee orange things on the inside kerb, i hit the throttle again on the 2nd one of those.

Better to start wider and then cut in late too

#20 brettz0r

brettz0r

Gamer / Event Host

• Gaming Night Host
  • 2358 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

After a 4 hour stint at having a go on this yesterday, Best I could do was still just over 2 seconds slower than Sidawg!
I think at most - I have another 0.5 seconds in me with a perfect lap (well perfect for me)
Still bringing home as 11th best in NZ as of last night.

Hopefully I will get time to post up a table tonight of everyone's best times.
Hopefully no one minds if I take from my friends list and post up?

For people who are not on my list - feel free to add me (brettzor) or post up on here!

Ps- I'd take Sidawgs advice over mine anyday... but key tips from me:

1. Brake early on the really tight corners, ease off the brakes going into the corners to get a slight drift and do your best to hang on. (its very easy to loose it while in a drift though - but much quicker if you can)

2. Use all the track, learn what corners you can cut and how far you can push to the outside of the track. (the first corner for example: Starting as wide as possible will gain you some time)

3. If you didn't know the track at all (like me), do the time trails that are split in to sections first and learn the track that way. Its much easier than learning the whole track at once.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users