#321 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5314 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:29 PM

Ah thanks I just checked on Stuff, i should've known it'd be breaking all over the front page.

#322 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6651 posts
  • Steam ID:AudaciousGnome
  • PSN:AudaciousGnome

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

Yup. I felt like the ref was totally against McGregor the entire fight. Literally dragging him away when Floyd had his back turned, pulling McGregor off Floyd instantly when he tried to clinch near the end, etc etc.

Delusional. Is this the first boxing match you have watched?  Connor was warned for illegal shots multiple times, Connor was trying to clench to save himself because he was clearly out on his feet in the latter rounds so the ref broke them up....It's kinda one of the requirements of the ref to determine whether a fighter is capable of continuing and is still able to defend himself.... Give me a break trying to craft some BS about the ref being "totally" against Connor. 

#323 that_black_guy

that_black_guy
  • PSN:that_black_guy

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

McGregor boxed a lot better than I thought he would have. I expected a lot more unorthodox things... but all up, I thought it was a better fight than most of us anticipated. Although I woulda liked if sugar ray removed the carrot from his ass before he started calling the fight

#324 BigC

BigC
  • PSN:NZBigC

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

Yup. I felt like the ref was totally against McGregor the entire fight. Literally dragging him away when Floyd had his back turned, pulling McGregor off Floyd instantly when he tried to clinch near the end, etc etc.

Delusional. Is this the first boxing match you have watched?  Connor was warned for illegal shots multiple times, Connor was trying to clench to save himself because he was clearly out on his feet in the latter rounds so the ref broke them up....It's kinda one of the requirements of the ref to determine whether a fighter is capable of continuing and is still able to defend himself.... Give me a break trying to craft some BS about the ref being "totally" against Connor. 

'potassium-salt_750_380_90_c1.jpg'

I also find it quite funny how the biggest and most relevant boxing match since who knows when contained a 'retired' boxer and someone who has never boxed before haha.

#325 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• Members
  • 6651 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:49 PM

Edit: No point wasting my breath. 

Edited by AudaciousGnome, 27 August 2017 - 05:54 PM.

#326 Dvst8u

Dvst8u

Dvst8u

• Members
  • 3552 posts
  • PSN:Dvst8u

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:56 PM

Edit: No point wasting my breath. 

to all your above posts..

tenor.gif

#327 BigC

BigC

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

Are you referring to that game of tag Manny and Floyd played a few years ago? Lol that was no fight.

If only your ability to delete that comment was as quick as Floyd's feet that night eh...

#328 that_black_guy

that_black_guy

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

Gnome, did u watch the fight? I appreciate you're a bit of a boxing purist and would like to know what you thought of the fight

#329 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• Members
  • 6651 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:01 PM

Gnome, did u watch the fight? I appreciate you're a bit of a boxing purist and would like to know what you thought of the fight

I did.

Credit to Connor, he came out and did what he had to. He went for it early and landed a few decent shots, unfortunately for him he never landed anyting substantially to hurt Mayweather . I know I was extremely dismissive of him, more so the UFC fan boys(see below), but still credit to him for getting into a boxing ring without a professional boxing record.

He got tired, as expected. Like I tried and tried to say months ago, there is no way any human being can get the conditioning required to sustain a 12 round fight at a world championship level without a professional boxing fight. So no surprise there.

Connor is a supreme athlete though. I think if he genuinely wanted to, he could be an above average to good professional boxer in 3-5 years if he focused solely on the sport. He had good movement, quick/ish hands, would have a natural reach advantage over many boxers and he certainly has the intangibles of mentality and hard work to succeed. 

Now onto the boxing match of the year, Alvarez vs GGG. Can't wait. 

#330 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• Members
  • 6651 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

Are you referring to that game of tag Manny and Floyd played a few years ago? Lol that was no fight.

If only your ability to delete that comment was as quick as Floyd's feet that night eh...

You mean because of all the "running" Floyd did, right? Yet when Connor did that against Diaz after the first loss.....he is a smart fighter, conserving his energy and picking his spots...what a masterful tactician.

That boxing match or "game of tag" sold more PPV's than any standalone, single UFC event has ever or will ever sell.  

You are the reason why I was so dismissive of this fight between Connor and Mayweather when it was first announced. Keep drinking your delusional kool-aid. 

I took a few minutes thinking whether to edit the comment. If only you put a few minutes of thought into your opinion in the lead up to this fight and what transpired.....instead of drinking the delusional kool-aid you have concocted.

#331 BigC

BigC

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

Wait, which opinion to the lead up of this fight of mine are you talking about? The one where I said McGregor is one of the best trash talkers of all time or when I said Floyd wouldn't even be able to beat CM Punk in the octagon when he claimed a fight in the octagon would be next?

You know boxing more than 98% of people on this thread, yet you act like a p***k when someone with less knowledge of the sport expresses a different opinion to yours. How about trying to educate them rather than talking down to them?

#332 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• Members
  • 6651 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:25 PM

Wait, which opinion to the lead up of this fight of mine are you talking about? The one where I said McGregor is one of the best trash talkers of all time 

I agree with that.

or when I said Floyd wouldn't even be able to beat CM Punk in the octagon when he claimed a fight in the octagon would be next?

This is also true but I mean most people who are 20 pounds heavier than their opponent would probably be favored :)

You know boxing more than 98% of people on this thread, yet you act like a p***k when someone with less knowledge of the sport expresses a different opinion to yours. How about trying to educate them rather than talking down to them?

That's fair, I should have reworded my response. I will. 

Delusional. Is this the first boxing match you have watched?   Connor was warned for illegal shots multiple times, Connor was trying to clench to save himself because he was clearly out on his feet in the latter rounds so the ref broke them up....It's kinda one of the requirements of the ref to determine whether a fighter is capable of continuing and is still able to defend himself.... Give me a break trying to craft some BS about the ref being "totally" against Connor. 

Still frustrating asf when someone wrongly tries to peddle that a ref was "totally" against a boxer, when they actually weren't at all and the fighter in question lost by TKO and not some marginal judges decision.

Edited by AudaciousGnome, 27 August 2017 - 08:27 PM.

#333 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10897 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:34 PM

I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did.

It can't be easy learning to not do all the things he has instinctively learned to do with split second decisions in MMA.

Both of them are rich rich men now though (not that thru weren't before).

#334 BigC

BigC

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:35 PM

Appreciate it!

Also I meant skill-wise with CM Punk, not weight/size. 

I always assumed that is why people clenched near the end of fights so it is nice to know that is not the case.

EDIT: I was also just so damn annoyed at the commentator saying this and that about Floyd while dissing McGregor at the same time as if they have both had 30+ fights in a ring.

Edited by BigC, 27 August 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#335 that_black_guy

that_black_guy

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:23 PM

It seemed to me like Connor was trying to either frustrate Flloyd into a mistake or win rounds on points. Because a lot of his shots in the early rounds were more to score than to hurt. Not suprisingly he ran out of gas. What did suprise me was Mayweather using the more traditional guard rather than the shoulder roll defence he normally uses. I wonder if that was out of respect for his reach?

And the ref was right to stop the fight when he did. I believe McGregor when he said he was fatigued, not hurt. But he wasn't doing anything to protect himself. But I'd love to see the score cards. I know it was the plan for Floyd to wait for McGregor to slow down. But theres a chance he could've been down on the cards before the fight ended... it means nothing now, but its not a position he'd have been in very often

#336 that_black_guy

that_black_guy

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:35 PM

Scratch that, just looked at the cards... I must've been watching a different fight.

#337 Outlaw213

Outlaw213

Ghost of Sparta

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • Steam ID:Outlaw213
  • PSN:Outlaw213

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:16 PM

Both of them are rich rich men now though (not that thru weren't before).

Y9kW5xQ.jpg

Connor and Mayweather right now...

ZsEhdgV.jpg

#338 Deanology

Deanology
  • PSN:Yes

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

Was entertaining enough, for the first rounds.

I thought it was stopped a little early, but the referee had to make the call.

Thought he was good through-out to be honest.

#339 sakuraba

sakuraba

I know what you did last summer

• Members
  • 1601 posts
  • PSN:subtime
  • Xbox Live:subtime

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

Mayweather impressed me he never backed up and it was McGregor that initiated the clinching because he was so tired and mayweather still had power in his hands at the end and big ups to McGregor for stepping up against mayweather and lasting that many rounds.

#340 Rocky1986

Rocky1986
  • Steam ID:seamus33

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

I thought it was a good stoppage. McGregor was spent and was taking hits to the head at will. Its in the refs best interest to protect the fighters. Thought the ref did a good job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users