Snacks Health Time

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Eviltoothpicky

Eviltoothpicky
  • Steam ID:MistressLemon
  • Xbox Live:Eviltoothpicky

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

So I'm curious about everyone else's habits around extended gaming sessions - I'm talking anything over 3 hours. Those times when you're so engrossed in the game you look up hours later like "WTF, what happened to the clock??"

Firstly, how on earth do you guys find the time for those long sessions??? I'm sure most of you have jobs, families, studies, and other stuff to take up most of your 24hrs every day! I'd love to know how this is done, because there are so many games I've skipped over just because they're too time-intensive.

Secondly - nutrition. What are your favourite snacks when gaming for those long periods of time. Obviously, getting up in the middle and going to cook breaks the extended gaming session. Do you choose based on flavour, quietness so no one can hear you eating through your mic, not making your hands and controller icky for the rest of the session, or some other reason?

And health - such as avoiding RSI/OOS (whatever you prefer to call it these days) and arthritis, dealing with eyesight - do you bother worrying about it? Does it already impact you? Do you take microbreaks and stretch, look away from the screen for a minute?

What games get you lost in time like this? A particular game you've loved since childhood, anything that's latest release, a specific genre?

Or... do you just not do it? Play to the next save point/play one round of MP kind of gamer?

#2 nimrod76

nimrod76

Arse Hat

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Tester
  • 19913 posts
  • PSN:Nimrod76

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

Job, wife, three kids, two cats, house to maintain and I am down to an hour and half to two hours a night. I get about 6 hours sleep.

If I'm really lucky on a Sunday the wife will take the kids to the grandparents and if I have no jobs to do I will get a nice solid 3-4 hours in.... doesn't happen very often.

Don't eat whilst gaming there is no time for eating, only coffee.

I lost track of time playing Tomb Raider and before that Sleeping Dogs.

#3 kalmonipa

kalmonipa

A Cool Kid from the Cool part of Town

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 1263 posts
  • Steam ID:Kalmonipa
  • Xbox Live:xKalmonipa

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

I'm a high school student, with a part time job, so I have plenty of time to spend playing games...

#4 twisterjamz

twisterjamz

Saitama

• Members
  • 5141 posts
  • Steam ID:twisterjamz
  • PSN:twisterjamzz

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

For me, I usually try to only play games at night time, if the story has me hooked or if I'm dominating on online multiplayer then I usually forget the time, I generally like to eat chips when I'm playing online just to annoy all those little 10 year olds with the crunching sound.

As for the third part I usually don't get affected by any of that stuff, the first game that ever gave me one of those problems was Killzone 2, I don't know what it was but after about 20 minutes playing Killzone 2 I would feel sick and kind of like I had asthma or something, weirdly enough no other game has done that to me, not even Kiilzone 3.

I used to lose time when I would play Zelda Ocarina Of Time, and I currently lose time when I'm playing Black Ops 2 online

#5 OrkMischief

OrkMischief

Level 100 Zelda Master

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • PSN:II_SanD_CameL
  • Wii:Wii U - IIMILLER
  • Xbox Live:II MlLLER

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

When I do not have uni work to do I can play for a good few hours if the game is good.

I used to play Halo 3 from 5:00pm - 4:00am every saturday night with mates online and all I would need is a redbull to give me wings and I'm away.

I really don't have time for that now and can rarely put more then 3 hours at a time in a game during a day.
But I'm hoping if I get some of my assignments completed by easter weekend I can play Bioshock Infinite all day.

With my profile pic being from Eternal Darkness, I am a sucker for twisted horror games and can always get lost on time playing them. Silent Hill, Resident Evil and various games of this genre keep me playing for hours. I always do the hardest difficulty and love playing late at night.

ZombiU on teh WiiU is a good example where I played 60 hours of it over 2 weeks. I completed survival mode in 4 hours and wish they would add DLC because I thought the game excellent and very addictive.

I've been gaming since the Amstard days and despite having good eyesight for everything, I now have to wear glasses when playing games. I guess all my time playing Master System and N64 has finally caught up on my eyes.

I'm an athletic guy and I work out everyday and most people don't even know I'm a geek when it comes to videogames. It suprises them when they learn I have a large Zelda collection and that I would sooner stay indoors and play a good game then get on it.

Edited by OrkMischief, 26 March 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#6 Jake

Jake

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

I'm a highschooler with no part time job, so I have more than enough time to play videogames. That being said, I normally only get in a maximum of 1-1 and a half hours a day gaming, including weekends. Unless I'm playing Pokemon, in which I will be engrossed for the better part of a week.

#7 Eviltoothpicky

Eviltoothpicky

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Job, wife, three kids, two cats, house to maintain and I am down to an hour and half to two hours a night. I get about 6 hours sleep.

I'm about the same on the sleep - but gaming, about 30 minutes to an hour. Need to lifehack methinks.

As for the third part I usually don't get affected by any of that stuff, the first game that ever gave me one of those problems was Killzone 2, I don't know what it was but after about 20 minutes playing Killzone 2 I would feel sick and kind of like I had asthma or something, weirdly enough no other game has done that to me, not even Kiilzone 3.

Wow, that's more intense than anything I've ever heard of gaming-wise. But I knew someone who would have their epilepsy triggered by Halo 3. Didn't stop him playing though.

I've been gaming since the Amstard days and despite having good eyesight for everything, I now have to wear glasses when playing games. I guess all my time playing Master System and N64 has finally caught up on my eyes.

I'm the opposite - wear my glasses for everything except gaming. I find constantly pushing up my glasses I miss the frame and hit the lens and then its just one big giant smudge which is worse than the eye strain.

#8 birdman

birdman

[NZGR]

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4144 posts
  • PSN:quackdog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

Wife, 2 year old daughter (+ another bun in the oven due September), 50 hours work per week, gym 4-5 times a week, cricket training twice a week in summer plus all weekend.

I can only really get stuck into games from 10pm each night, plus some short little bursts at the weekends when possible. Maybe play 1-3 hours most nights, although 1am finishes makes it tough when the alarm goes off at 6am.

No food or drink "Ain't got no time for that", my gaming time is too precious.

Back in the day when I was single, a student, and flatting well that was a different story. Could easily manage 5-8 hour sessions of Gran Turismo or FFVII on the PS2. Favorite snacks at the time were Vanilla Coke, Grape wonka licorice, choc licorice logs. Couldn't cope with greasy controllers so chips were out of the question.

#9 Ron

Ron

Just working hard...

• Admin
  • 9121 posts
  • PSN:NZGamer dot com
  • Wii:What's a Wii?
  • Xbox Live:NZGamer dot com

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

if I'm dominating on online multiplayer then I usually forget the time

Until the NZG gamertag creeps up behind you and stabs ya in CoD. :thumbsup:

#10 CheeseTastic

CheeseTastic

.!!!!!!!!!!!!

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 3021 posts
  • PSN:chairman_meow10
  • Xbox Live:ohez

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

I generally only seem to do extended sessions these days. I have uni until around 5 each day (I'm doing a thesis, so I don't really have a timetable in the strict sense, but I aim to stay until 4-5ish), then once I've got home, made dinner, done some sh*t around the house I generally can't be bothered gaming.

So generally it comes down to the weekends, where I can spend most of the day gaming if I want to. Breaks here and there to make food etc. I dunno, I don't really think about it much.

#11 twisterjamz

twisterjamz

Saitama

• Members
  • 5141 posts
  • Steam ID:twisterjamz
  • PSN:twisterjamzz

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

if I'm dominating on online multiplayer then I usually forget the time

Until the NZG gamertag creeps up behind you and stabs ya in CoD. :thumbsup:

haha that doesn't happen much now, it used to though

#12 atipuss

atipuss
  • Steam ID:atimewmew
  • PSN:atipuss
  • Xbox Live:atipuss

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

I work full time and only got hubby and a cat to look after so weekdays I can do couple of hours and on friday (my day off) I can do 4 hours in the morning. Love my friday :)

#13 supabowl

supabowl
  • Steam ID:supabowl
  • PSN:Bowl_NZ
  • Xbox Live:BowlNZ

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

I prefer being able to sit down for a couple of hours and put in some serious gaming time but that hasn't been happening as much lately. I'm in the last year of my course so have lots of work to do and then there's also my partner and her kid to spend time with as well (and our cats since everyone else is mentioning theirs). Girlfriend quite often goes out on the weekends for a bit so I sometimes blow off my studies to play but that's about it at the moment

#14 kiwiatlarge

kiwiatlarge

kiwiatlarge

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 1530 posts
  • PSN:kiwiatlarge
  • Xbox Live:kiwiatlarge

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

I'm a similar situation to Nimrod, though the only child is 'hers' and is grown up now, so is not a distraction in my lifestyle... but I am lucky to get much gaming time during work nights during the week. I work 11 on, 3 off, so I try to get some gaming done each weekend, and on the Fridays I have off...

I generally lack the interest in playing long periods of time... most action games I am only interested in doing a level or chapter at a time... maybe two.. certain games I have been known to lose hours at a time on, like Final Fantasy games and Borderlands... level up games are great for that...

Probably the longest I have played a game in one hit the night of release was Killzone 3... I started it when I got home and finally put it down during the last level really late at night as I was getting tired.

I have played a game start to finish in one session without skipping cutscenes... but that was Uncharted 1, which I had completed about 7 times prior, and I only played it on normal that time... so as I knew the game so well, I probably only died and checkpoint loaded a couple of times or so... That was a popcorn type gaming run, like when you sit down and just watch a movie trilogy for 6 hours straight..

#15 Jaz

Jaz

#SILVERSCUM

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4318 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

Back in the day, regularly had 24hr sessions with mates on Bomberman and Mario Kart.

These days, maybe an hour a day with my son, usually on something like Kirby or Skylanders or Need For Speed. On the weekends, very little as we tend to do other things. I do get 16 weeks leave a year though so some of that is for gaming. If the family go to Shanghai, and I choose to stay in Singapore, then I get two solid weeks of gaming in - as in curtains drawn, pizza guy arriving daily and 12-15 hours of gaming. Most recently did this in October and played through a few SNES classics.

#16 Eviltoothpicky

Eviltoothpicky

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

It's actually kind of interesting to note the "no time for snacks" approach. Generally I'm playing during dinner to try and squeeze a few extra minutes in. Or should that be eating while gaming? Particularly if I'm waiting in a lobby or something.

And the 1-2 hours per night thing seems to be becoming my general routine now that I'm settling back into it. I had a several years hiatus from gaming while I was with my ex because he hated my gaming at a level normally reserved for warring nations. Finding a nice balance between the rest of life and actually completing games (which I never seem to do anyway) is harder than I thought it would be.

#17 grieving

grieving
  • PSN:SuchGrief

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Got FTL: Faster Than Light one day, didn't goto bed till 5am. :unsure:

#18 supabowl

supabowl
  • Steam ID:supabowl
  • PSN:Bowl_NZ
  • Xbox Live:BowlNZ

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

One more turn syndrome? Seem to lose track of time when I play Xcom.

#19 grieving

grieving
  • PSN:SuchGrief

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

One more turn syndrome? Seem to lose track of time when I play Xcom.

Indeed! Eventually lost interest when I had all the ships unlocked(save from internet) and sick of the luck based gameplay.

#20 Jaz

Jaz

#SILVERSCUM

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4318 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

My worst effort was when Ogre Battle 64 came out. I spent 50+ consecutive hours on it before passing out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Snacks, Health, Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users