workout gym exercise health wellbeing motivation diet

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#1 dxbn

dxbn
  • Steam ID:dxbn
  • Xbox Live:dxbn

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hello everyone, I'm sure there's a large diversity of people visiting this website and forum and not are not just interested in gaming. There must be a lot of you who are concerned about their wellbeing and like to exercise regularly. I start this thread in hope of members sharing their exercise experiences and exchange information such as:
  • Workout plans
  • Successful diet plans
  • Goals
  • Gym experiences
  • Etc
The list can go on but I will leave it up to you to contribute related material.

I hope this thread will prove helpful and can motivate people to exercise regularly.

Happy posting!

#2 dxbn

dxbn

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

I will start by posting gym experiences. I am currently a member at the UoA gym, which I have to say is the best gym I've been to in terms of equipment, atmosphere and price. I highly recommend joining if you are a student at the university or live in the area.

I've also been to Jetts, which from my experience lack in equipment when compared to other gyms. The Jetts I went to did not have a squat rack or bench press rack, the two exercises were combined into an assisted rack which I find to be less effective. Also, at the time of visiting they only had dumbbells up to 40kg. One side note I would like to add is that I visited the Jetts on Botany Road, and oddly enough they asked me not to drop the weights (on their padded floor) after sets as the store next door complained about vibrations (they expected me to gently put down 35kgs after exercising). On the plus side, they have a lot of treadmills and are opend 24/7. They were the second least expensive gym I've been to.

Another gym worth mentioning is Club Physical, which from my experience is a well balanced gym. They have good equipment and exercising atmosphere. The only downside is that it is relatively expensive.

Edit: I have also had a 7 day trial at Exceeds Fitness, friendly trainers but the weights section is relatively small. Good range of cardio equipment though and lots of classes to join.

These are opinions based on my experience and others are welcome to discuss.

Edited by dxbn, 01 February 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#3 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5317 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Any of you bros use fitocracy?

#4 jamesg

jamesg

Since 1973

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 530 posts
  • PSN:TrickishLicense

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I belong to the gym at my work. It has good equipment and a personal trainer. I currently do a cardio work out on the bike with a few light weights. I primarly go to get fit.

#5 dxbn

dxbn

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Any of you bros use fitocracy?

what's that? never heard of it

I belong to the gym at my work. It has good equipment and a personal trainer. I currently do a cardio work out on the bike with a few light weights. I primarly go to get fit.

sounds like you've found a place that suits you, do you find cycling or running to be more effective for cardio?

#6 KiwiSharp

KiwiSharp

KiwiSharp

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Gaming Night Host
  • 2989 posts
  • Steam ID:KiwiSharp
  • PSN:KiwiSharp
  • Xbox Live:KiwiSharp

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Closest I get is my XBOX Kinect :thumbsup:

#7 Phoenix4

Phoenix4
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • Xbox Live:PhoenixFuree

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Getting owned by Crossfit at the moment...I usually manage to embarass myself every couple of days trying the Crossfit.com workouts at home. It's a nice change to the usual gym sessions I usually do and killer on the fitness.

#8 Deanology

Deanology
  • PSN:Yes

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Also, at the time of visiting they only had dumbbells up to 40kg.

40kg dumbbells? Beast.

When I was using the gym often I only used 25kg dumbbells.

#9 Phoenix4

Phoenix4
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • Xbox Live:PhoenixFuree

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

I just read that comment about getting told to put the weights down lightly...that was one of the reasons I sacked the gym and decked my garage out instead. Expensive at first but pays off in the long run when you don't need to pay gym fees and never need to worry about leaving your towel or water bottle at home again.
Any gym/trainer that asks you to put it down lightly is not the gym to train at if you are going heavy! If it's okay for an olympic athlete to drop a fully loaded bar from above their heads then it can't be all bad (provided you have the correct equipment and flooring that is, which sadly most gyms don't).
The other reason for sacking the gym and doing it at home is I can now pull funny faces and grunt all I like without anybody seeing me make a fool of myself haha

#10 dxbn

dxbn

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

40kg dumbbells? Beast.

lol the heavier weights are for the bigger muscle groups, like shrugs and legs. and i find it motivating to always have heavier weights that i can work towards.

Getting owned by Crossfit at the moment...I usually manage to embarass myself every couple of days trying the Crossfit.com workouts at home. It's a nice change to the usual gym sessions I usually do and killer on the fitness.

i have been hearing good things about crossfit, might have to give it a try this year.

I just read that comment about getting told to put the weights down lightly...that was one of the reasons I sacked the gym and decked my garage out instead. Expensive at first but pays off in the long run when you don't need to pay gym fees and never need to worry about leaving your towel or water bottle at home again.
Any gym/trainer that asks you to put it down lightly is not the gym to train at if you are going heavy! If it's okay for an olympic athlete to drop a fully loaded bar from above their heads then it can't be all bad (provided you have the correct equipment and flooring that is, which sadly most gyms don't).
The other reason for sacking the gym and doing it at home is I can now pull funny faces and grunt all I like without anybody seeing me make a fool of myself haha

that's the path my friend chose to take, and now he's got a mini gym in his garage. I would love to do the same seeing all the benefits, but as a student it's more convenient to go to the uni gym and save as much money as possible.

Out of interest, does anyone take supplements? If yes, how effective do you find it?

#11 Romulus

Romulus

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I will start by posting gym experiences. I am currently a member at the UoA gym, which I have to say is the best gym I've been to in terms of equipment, atmosphere and price. I highly recommend joining if you are a student at the university or live in the area.

I've also been to Jetts, which from my experience lack in equipment when compared to other gyms. The Jetts I went to did not have a squat rack or bench press rack, the two exercises were combined into an assisted rack which I find to be less effective. Also, at the time of visiting they only had dumbbells up to 40kg. One side note I would like to add is that I visited the Jetts on Botany Road, and oddly enough they asked me not to drop the weights (on their padded floor) after sets as the store next door complained about vibrations (they expected me to gently put down 35kgs after exercising). On the plus side, they have a lot of treadmills and are opend 24/7. They were the second least expensive gym I've been to.

Another gym worth mentioning is Club Physical, which from my experience is a well balanced gym. They have good equipment and exercising atmosphere. The only downside is that it is relatively expensive.

Edit: I have also had a 7 day trial at Exceeds Fitness, friendly trainers but the weights section is relatively small. Good range of cardio equipment though and lots of classes to join.

These are opinions based on my experience and others are welcome to discuss.

Hey if your keen on fitness and overall tone (as opposed to putting on mass) you should check out Ludus Magnus and/or Muay Thai.

100 burpees to start your workout? Ooooorah!

Both great work outs and find them more engaging than just hitting the gym.

#12 dxbn

dxbn

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

First week back and the university gym instantly becomes crowded, at all hours. Next week will separate the men from the boys.

#13 birdman

birdman

[NZGR]

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4123 posts
  • PSN:quackdog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Another gym junkie here, been weight training for almost 12 years now. Started out for bulking up to cope with Waterpolo demands, have evolved it more into strength/power stuff for cricket. I find that if I don't train my core and back I breakdown due to stress fractures etc.

Lot's of complex circuits - Squats/Front Squats/Power Snatches & Cleans/ Deadlifts/Bench/OH press etc.

Have used that Fitocracy but have got lazy, need to get back into it soon. Username is essceebird.

Was going to write this in the b*tch thread but might have more sympathy here - tore two callous' on my RH deadlifting last night!

#14 IIIII

IIIII

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

40kg dumbbells? Beast.

lol the heavier weights are for the bigger muscle groups, like shrugs and legs. and i find it motivating to always have heavier weights that i can work towards.

Thats way to light for legs. Do squats with bar bell. Doing 115kg squats and I can do the same amount on bench at the moment. My legs arent that strong so Im doing more legs workouts now

#15 birdman

birdman

[NZGR]

• Members
  • 4123 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

Legs are key, squats and deads put size on your entire body. Really gives the CNS a kick up the @rse.

PB's for 5 reps

Bench 120 kg
Squat 160 kg (ass to grass)
Dead 220 kg (raw = no straps)
O/H press barbell = 90 kg

Bodyweight 91 kg

Edited by birdman, 07 March 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#16 dxbn

dxbn

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

yea if there are only two exercise you'll ever do, make sure they are squats and deadlifts.

#17 Deanology

Deanology
  • PSN:Yes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Oh, I see..
My brain goes mental again.

I did 25DB curls.
Shrugs n that, can be more ruthless.

#18 dxbn

dxbn

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

Legs are key, squats and deads put size on your entire body. Really gives the CNS a kick up the @rse.

Just expanding on this point. Squats and deadlifts work almost every muscle in your body to some degree which helps with maximising with releasing growth hormones to help with muscle growth. But make sure you don't overtrain and have adequate rest periods or your CNS gets desensitized.

#19 IIIII

IIIII

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

PB's for 5 reps

Bench 120 kg

Bodyweight 91 kg

I can go ass to grass only on front squats not normal squats. I can only go parallel to floor doing normal

#20 birdman

birdman

[NZGR]

• Members
  • 4123 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Oh, I see..
My brain goes mental again.

I did 25DB curls.
Shrugs n that, can be more ruthless.

'Curls get the girls'. I'm married with kids though so I don't even bother with them these days. My arms are so torched from deads, chins etc I wouldn't even be able to curl 5 kg afterwards I reckon.

Used to do rack shrugs with barbell but found power cleans and snatches so much more effective for trap growth, plus you get the added bonus of strength and power work.

PB's for 5 reps

Bench 120 kg

Bodyweight 91 kg

I can go ass to grass only on front squats not normal squats. I can only go parallel to floor doing normal

That's common, to be honest I have dropped back squats at the moment and have been focusing more on front squats anyway. You really can go deep into the movement and it puts less load on your posterior chain. Plus it forces you to get your technique spot on, not as easy to cheat.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: workout, gym, exercise, health, wellbeing, motivation, diet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users