#1 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 9413 posts
  • Steam ID:BanalityDUFF

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

since it's predominately computer games i've been following on kickstarter i figured this is the most appropriate forum for it.

what's everyone's opinion on kickstarter?

i haven't donated to any games yet but will donate to wasteland 2 after this mornings announcement (if they reach 2.1mil Obsidian will give design advice / tools).

be interesting to see the future of kickstarter, i've seen heaps of smaller indie games that are nowhere near (and probably won't even reach) their wanted amount of money. i wonder if it will only be a decent platform for ex-high profile devs (tim schafer, the bioware guys, brian fargo, maybe to a lesser extent the Grim Dawn guys once they launch their kickstarter).

but yeah, who has donated and what for? (i know Boy, the movie, was up a few months ago to raise funding for a US release).

#2 Byskyre

Byskyre
  • Steam ID:Muntey

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

I haven't donated to any projects, I would be keen to support some if I find something interesting.

#3 Syn-Ryn

Syn-Ryn

Scrublord

• 8288 posts
  • Steam ID:steamcommunity.com/id/MADSUPERVILLAIN
  • Xbox Live:Blale

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

http://www.kickstart...actical-shooter

Do want, might try sort out Amazon payments for it.

#4 OriginalSin

OriginalSin

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

The Banner Saga looks good, they got their 100K in less than 48 hours, the excess money is going towards porting it to multiple platforms and future projects. I'm just going to wait for it to hit Steam, kickstarter is a cool idea, but I personally wouldn't contribute.

#5 KatalystaKaos

KatalystaKaos
  • Steam ID:Katalystactv8
  • PSN:Katalystactv8
  • Xbox Live:KatalystActoV8

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

KIckstarter is a Frekin awesome concept, it has given me hope that the mindless dripple drone games that the Corporate Publishers are increasing only supporting developers in making, will have some serious competition from some seriously awseome game developers with interesting ideas :thumbsup:

I can see myself contributing on occasion especially to a title like The Banner Saga.

Edited by KatalystaKaos, 01 April 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#6 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9413 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

*BUMP*

anyone still following kickstarter?
Gas Powered Game have recently launched a kick starter called 'Wildman'. -> http://www.kickstart...on-rpg?ref=live

seems to be a hybrid between all they know how to make (ARPG&RTS) so looks promising.

I was a bit disappointed with the announcement because I was hoping for Kings & Castles, but it looks like that game is on the shelf forever now.

anyone else backed anything recently? I backed War for the Overworld and Star Citizen recently and I think that's about it.

apparently the world doesn't completely think Peter Molyneux is a waste because Project GODUS or whatever it's called got funded - only barely, though. I'm somewhat interested in it but didn't back it because he's always over promising and he grates me.

#7 OriginalSin

OriginalSin

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Defense Grid 2 got funded, I didn't back it but I'm stoked that it's now firmly in the making. An insta-buy for me once it hits Steam.

#8 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9413 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Defence Grid 2 was the first WTF kickstarter for me. Didn't it end up only getting funded for an expansion for the original DG?

I imagine a lot of people were turned off, like me, given that DG2 was actually a stretch goal (at like 1.5 million or something? Maybe 1 million?) and yet all they were asking for was 250k.

I didn't back it purely because it seemed like they were trying to game the system a little too much and weren't being entirely truthful with their kickstarter - given that they named it for defence grid 2 but the base amount of money they were asking for wasn't actually defence grid 2.

I will buy DG2 when it finally comes out but their whole kickstarter was a bit of a debacle.

#9 OriginalSin

OriginalSin

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Wow, that's a bit arse. I didn't read the kickstarter page correctly, I thought the 250 was... well poop. Hopefully they can get a backer on their own to stretch their development and get DG2 finished.

#10 OriginalSin

OriginalSin

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Divinity: Original Sin.
http://www.kickstart...ty-original-sin

Main kickstarter goal @ $400k, funded.
First stretch goal @ $500k, funded.
Next goal @ $650k in progress...

7 days to go.

I'm looking for people interested in doing joint projects with the editor that ships with the game. I'll be doing a project myself anyway (probably multiple, if it's as easy as it looks), but many hands make light work. Also, more ideas / others to bounce things off, should make for better results.

Release is approx. November 2013. If anyone's interested, let me know before then.

Edited by OriginalSin, 19 April 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#11 citysoldier

citysoldier
  • Steam ID:Citysoldier01
  • PSN:Citysoldier

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

My cousins husband had a mate who hade a game listed that was shown on here once. I forget the name. I did not have a credit/debit card at the time. It's a good idea. You get what you pay for and your are aware of what you get for it. Only issue is if they bankrupt or anything like that

#12 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9413 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

just kick-started Divinity: Original Sin -> http://www.kickstart...ty-original-sin

28 bucks for a digital copy, one of the steeper kick-starters I've seen but the game looks awesome so it's probably totally worth it.

forgot to throw some monies toward Shroud of the Avatar but it has pledges on its website so might do it later. Although, at the moment, I have 5 or so games coming at some point through kick-starter so maybe I should hold off on all these future purchases, heh.

any other games worth following on kickstarter lately? I feel like the whole thing is dying down a little bit - or at least coverage of it is dying off. kickstarter-fatigue maybe?

#13 manukajoe

manukajoe
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

I've backed a few boardgames on Kickstarter. They're much smaller projects than the videogames. The games I have received have been pretty good, not perfect, but pretty good.

I think there are a few things to watch out for:
1. You can't try before you buy. Sometimes something sounds good, but when you get it you realise it's not something you would like.
2. They don't playtest enough. I think these small outfits don't have the discipline of lots of playtesting, so sometimes the games feel unpolished, like a big publisher would do a much better job of that
3. The rule books often aren't very good (for boardgames), they don't get enough editorial input and testing.
4. Sometimes there are production issues, where the publisher is small time and not very experienced, they use production facilities that are not top notch, there can be delays and problems.
5. Shipping outside the US can be really painful. Like $20 US for a DVD to NZ!

Here's a project I've just backed that you might be interested in. A documentary about Zelda. Cheers!
http://www.kickstart...-alonethe-movie

#14 OriginalSin

OriginalSin

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Just nabbed the duo pack of Divinity:OS for $40. Game looks so good, especially as what we're seeing is only pre-alpha footage. It's going to be some shiny sh*t in 7 months time.

$832k raised - 14 hours left.

I don't think they'll quite hit the $1m, which is slightly disappointing. The final stretch goal would add so much more depth. I wish I was rich and could just b*tch slap the remaining $??k at the last minute.

Edit: All stretch goals achieved!

Edited by OriginalSin, 27 April 2013 - 07:32 AM.

#15 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9413 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Edit: All stretch goals achieved!

was just coming to post this! stoked mostly for weather effects.

#16 OriginalSin

OriginalSin

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

SokOzyi.gif

#17 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9413 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

It's sad the kickstarter didn't do better (but awesome that they hit the million mark), especially considering it's performance against those of Inexile and Obsidian. IMO, InXile is a bunch of dudes who used to be good (back in the day) and Obsidian are a bunch of dudes who are almost always awesome but heaps of bugs and yet Larian has released consistently good games over the years each time with more ambition than the last.

I'd rather Larian get my money because at least I know they'll deliver something pretty awesome, where'as InXile could go either way with their games - and to be honest, what I've seen of Wasteland 2 so far hasn't being that flash.

Actually, I mostly find it weird that InXile (I heart Obsidian and they make good games) did so well with both their kickstarters when they're pretty much running on credit with little to prove for it in recent terms - especially since the only big games they've made lately was Hunted and the remake of Bards Tale, both of which weren't really good.

#18 OriginalSin

OriginalSin

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

Agreed. Take publisher interference out of the equation and Larian's track record is excellent. Now that they're self publishing there's nothing to hold them back, and I expect them to rise and rise over the next few years. From what I read, they are planning another couple of games using the same game engine as D:OS. And providing D:OS doesn't fall short of expectations, I'm guessing we'll see a prequel or sequel, and another game in the universe set in a different time period. Good times ahead.

Eternity already had plenty of backers and was fully funded by the time I bothered to check it out. It sounds promising, but I'll wait until release and see how it goes.

Also, Defense Grid 2 is being made. http://www.pcgamer.c...named-investor/

#19 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9413 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Just saw the Shadowrun Returns game show-up on Steam. Grabbed a copy (release is in July). Looks really cool. It's also cool to see some of these Kickstarter games actually start coming out. It feels like forever before I'll see any of the games I've kickstarted.

Mostly want Dead State. Come on already! >_<

#20 Jaz

Jaz

#SILVERSCUM

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4318 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

I'll be in for openjamma.org IF they get to that point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users