• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 p1nkm15t

p1nkm15t
  • Steam ID:p1nkm15t
  • PSN:p1nkm15t

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:24 AM

Hey y'all,

You may not have heard, but GG are removing Custom Servers and brining in Matchmaking for KZ3. There is a bit of uproar about this at the moment.

There's been a petition started to try and save KZ3 from the abomination known as Matchmaking, and bring back the Custom Servers.
Without it, Killzone as we know it will fade into obsecurity.
Matchmaking for KZ3 is as useful and helpful as a torch for a blind person.

Go here:
http://www.ipetition...custom-matches/

And fill in the petition.
Watch out for the donation page at the end. Can be closed without worries.

#2 Kiwi08

Kiwi08
  • Steam ID:Kiwi_Blue
  • PSN:Kiwi161
  • Xbox Live:Everton Kiwi

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:24 AM

Signed. Definitely something I support. I may not buy KZ3 if it's matchmaking because custom servers are what made it so great.

#3 Illmatic

Illmatic

[NZGR]

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6262 posts
  • PSN:Stillmatic
  • Xbox Live:Stilmatik

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:01 AM

I'd rather matchmaking to be honest. Better for parties etc. I (and others) asked on the beta forums when it first started about custom private matches (unranked) and they hinted to it being in the works, that's good enough for me.

Damn hard finding a good game of KZ2 anyway, most games people create are sh*t. <_<

#4 Kiwi08

Kiwi08

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:41 AM

I'd rather matchmaking to be honest. Better for parties etc. I (and others) asked on the beta forums when it first started about custom private matches (unranked) and they hinted to it being in the works, that's good enough for me.

Damn hard finding a good game of KZ2 anyway, most games people create are sh*t. <_<

Ideally there would be matchmaking with the option to make your own custom server/game. That's what I suggested along with my signature for the petition.

#5 stungaf

stungaf
  • Location:/lōˈkāSHən/ Noun. 1. A particular place or position.
  • PSN:stungaf

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

i don't really know what the difference is. <_<

#6 Kiwi08

Kiwi08

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

i don't really know what the difference is. <_<

Matchmaking is like COD, where you select what game type you want, and it finds the best game for you.

Custom servers is like KZ2 where people host their own games (private or public) and decide what rules etc to play with. These games are then displayed in a list with vital info so people can decide which one to join (almost all PC games have custom servers).

Matchmaking is good for finding a quick game, and getting games where the teams are full. You may end up in a game which has bad lag or rules you do not like though (although usually rules are just standard and you know what you are going to get).

Custom servers obviously allow for personalisation, and allows the host to restrict or add things to the game. E.g. no noob tubes. Usually server lists show if the games will give you a good ping or not, although KZ2 didn't. So as you can imagine it is much easier to find a good connection. However because people have to find the games themselves, it takes much longer for lobbies to fill up. Usually there is a 'quick join' option though which pretty much acts as matchmaking.

Currently in the KZ3 beta, it is just matchmaking. There doesn't even seem to be any lobby system like in COD where the game won't start until there are a certain amount of people in the lobby and teams are balanced. This is leading to some very unbalanced teams.
For example: in one game me and Pinkmist , were both on one team because I invited him over to my team. Eventually everyone else left so there were no other people on the enemy team but the next game still started (we both ended up with negative K/Ds because the AI bots killed us, but there where no enemies to kill!).

I'm pretty sure the final game will not have the same system that is in place at the moment, but what form it will take is unknown.

Hope this post isn't too long!

Edited by Kiwi08, 12 November 2010 - 11:11 AM.

#7 p1nkm15t

p1nkm15t
  • Steam ID:p1nkm15t
  • PSN:p1nkm15t

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

Good for parties, but no good for clan matches.

Have you had a look at the Tourney system in the beta?
You can't invite other clans, you can't set up your matches, and it uses the matchmaking system.
MW2 had a better system :/
You've not been on the forums for a while? There's quite the rebellion against MM atm.

And the problem with finding a game in KZ2 would have been fixed if they introduced region locking, and stopped all the JPN and US players lagging up our servers.
From what I've heard, it's working quite well in Starcraft 2.

#8 ChinqMiau

ChinqMiau
  • PSN:ChinqMiau

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

they want to extend the life of the game. i'm with still on this, it's impossible to find a good local game and what you find is sh*t mostly because they allowed to customise it too much. whenever i jump in 90% of kz2 local games are deathmatch rocketfests on radec or gracht.

on the other hard, without custom servers it's not going to be such a community game as it was. but to be honest, kz2 community didn't really support the game longevity by buying new maps and was quick to leave as soon as mw2 showed up so the loyalty is hardly reciprocal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users