181 replies to this topic

#1 Takuyafire

Takuyafire

A lost cause...

• NZGamer.com VIP Silver VIP

• Members
  • 1213 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

Alright, I just want to put my two cents worth about this game that I just spent all day playing.

Yes...me...played a console game. Also no I wont make a reader review because due to time constraints I wasn't able to complete the finale ;-;

In all seriousness this game is literally just another Halo game. Somehow in my rare time using consoles I have played most of the Halo series (at least all the main titles: 1-3, ODST (kinda) and now Reach) and each Halo tried to do something different but ended up breaking something in the process while giving us some form of fun in its heed.

Somehow it took them this many games to get everything down pat...and you know what? NOTHING HAS CHANGED!

The enemies, allies, weapons, team mates, vehicles, EVERYTHING IS THE GODDAMN SAME!

Now sure, were I to pick up and play this game without touching any other titles in the series I might have actually enjoyed it a lot better but of course I'm taking the same perspective of most other players in that I have played the others as well.

Veteran players expect more Spartan vs Covenant action whereas I, a non-console gamer, expected some variety...not the same old crap regurgitated for a mere $120NZ.
At this point it's worth noting that of course there were some refreshing and fun moments...like the Saber battles in orbit...loved that bit. But that doesn't do enough to detract from the cloned feeling of the game.

I honestly don't understand the reviews of this game giving it more than a 7. As a standalone game maybe...but we aren't all naive enough to think of this as a standalone game, its part of a series and its a cloned game - it simply isn't fair to put this up there with some of the really fantastic original game series.

The graphics look mostly dated however you can tell the devs really pushed the engine to its limits so props to them for that at least.
The music is terrible...like usually I know the music is good when I am playing and don't realise it however in most fight scenes I'm stuck listening to some horrible crap being twanged on a heavily distorted guitar and its just plain bad.
The combat is as I said before, refined. It has backing, experience and testing all afforded from previous games so it cannot be faulted...other than a few niggly bits. Like nades having a tiny radius, auto-aim still getting better throughout the game to make you think you are getting better etc.
The voice acting is all over the place...some people deliver lines perfectly while others don't...don't believe me? Listen to any of the pilots throughout the game that lose a ship and are reporting that loss, they are stuck in between sheer terror (as would be expected) and military protocol. If they just picked one or the other it would be perfectly fine.

Anyway, I only wanted to ramble about this while it was fresh on my mind...I simply cant agree with a score above 7-8 out of 10. It isn't fair on other games and this game just doesn't deserve it.

I'm welcome to comments and discussion and I'll try not to be angry if you do too :P

#2 Jogga

Jogga

Hockey is MMA on ice.

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Tester
  • 5846 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:17 PM

EXCELLENT points. And you raise exactly the same issues that I have.

#3 chinaman71

chinaman71

[NZGR] Nomnomnom...

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 2648 posts
  • Steam ID:NZRDT1
  • PSN:RDT1
  • Wii:RDTNZL
  • Xbox Live:George Bush Jr

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

Agreed! and this aint purely fanboyism. But hey for die hards that ll they want anyway....

#4 njp62

njp62
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • PSN:NathanNZ

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

Aargh I know what you mean. Every GTA game feels pretty much the same to me.Same with Call of Duty, infact most fps sequels are really similiar. Actually most sequels regardless of genre don't deviate much per game. :P

#5 Takuyafire

Takuyafire

A lost cause...

• Members
  • 1213 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

THANK GOD YOU PEOPLE ARE SANE

Also I did like the aspect of teamwork that was sorta handed to you...I prefer the "Cog of war" approach to the "Lone Wolf"...

However your captain says at the start: "I've read your records and we prefer to work as a team, none of this lone wolf stuff you got it?"

Lo and behold, you spend most of the final missions soloing...christ...

Jorge is cool though

#6 tkd_matt

tkd_matt

Meet Amiganaut

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 1066 posts
  • Steam ID:tkd_matt
  • PSN:tkdmatt
  • Wii:7837 2118 2421 3733
  • Xbox Live:tkdmat

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:55 AM

THANK GOD YOU PEOPLE ARE SANE

Also I did like the aspect of teamwork that was sorta handed to you...I prefer the "Cog of war" approach to the "Lone Wolf"...

However your captain says at the start: "I've read your records and we prefer to work as a team, none of this lone wolf stuff you got it?"

Lo and behold, you spend most of the final missions soloing...christ...

Jorge is cool though

I think you're overthinking this a little. A lot of games have this problem. This isn't an isolated situation. But I don't see this neccesarily as a problem.

I don't consider myself a hardcore Halo fan, but I've played all the previous games and found not a lot had changed, but the minor changes really improved the game for me, such as both me and my co-op buddy customising our armor throughout the campaign, and finding our preferred addon thing(don't know the name, but the sprint/shield etc type stuff), which had us forming battle strategies on the fly.

And I found the firefight implementation better than ODST, and as someone a little worn on the online mp of Halo I find matchingmaking with Firefight a lot of fun.

While I can see that some people would have preferred more variation, there's nothing stopping them from using services such as eb's 7 day return policy or just renting the game. And I don't think Bungie or any developer should have to change their creation just to please a few whinging forum users (Suckerpunch shouldn't have changed Cole to suit the whingers), if you don't like it, don't buy it.

At the end of the day some people prefer variation and play a variety of games and others prefer to play the same game over and over (CoD, WoW, GH/RB etc), I don't think that makes you sane/them insane, if anything your comments make it sound like it's all about you.

And I lol'd at your comment about the teamwork/lonewolf then soloing at the end, you do realise that you work as a team most of the game until the other teammates died and you were the last man standing? I found that quite epic though I would have preferred the last mission to be a little more intense.
Spoiler

#7 Takuyafire

Takuyafire

A lost cause...

• Members
  • 1213 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:02 PM

I don't think that I am over thinking it in the slightest...the game is exactly the same as all the others.

Also...I did forget to mention those perks...its fun on firefight with infinite jetpack :P

And just for those that got as bored as my mate and I did, the hard shield perk makes you duck and go invulnerable...so when you find those places barred by walls that you cant take your precious Wraith through (I think it was the wraith), then get your teammate to hard shield and drive into him...4/5 times you'll use him as a ramp and fly over the barrier...1/5 times you'll simply explode.

#8 tkd_matt

tkd_matt

Meet Amiganaut

• Members
  • 1066 posts
  • Steam ID:tkd_matt
  • PSN:tkdmatt
  • Wii:7837 2118 2421 3733
  • Xbox Live:tkdmat

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

I don't think that I am over thinking it in the slightest...the game is exactly the same as all the others.

Also...I did forget to mention those perks...its fun on firefight with infinite jetpack :P

And just for those that got as bored as my mate and I did, the hard shield perk makes you duck and go invulnerable...so when you find those places barred by walls that you cant take your precious Wraith through (I think it was the wraith), then get your teammate to hard shield and drive into him...4/5 times you'll use him as a ramp and fly over the barrier...1/5 times you'll simply explode.

Considering that sequels with incremental changes has been a problem with a lot of games since games were invented and your rant being directed at this game in particular makes it seem like your argument is purely the need to bag a popular game.

If you paid for it and don't like it, then return it, if you played someone else's copy, what are you complaining about?

Also I like the tip about the vehicle jumping, gonna try that.

#9 Takuyafire

Takuyafire

A lost cause...

• Members
  • 1213 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:46 PM

Considering that sequels with incremental changes has been a problem with a lot of games since games were invented and your rant being directed at this game in particular makes it seem like your argument is purely the need to bag a popular game.

Note: I bagged MW2 as well...when you get a budget that large...you expect someone to think for once in their lives. Which is precisely why I adore indie games so much...minimal budget, maximum fun.
Thats why I was pissed off and said that it simply wasn't fair on the original and new IP's struggling against these giants even though their product is superior.

If you paid for it and don't like it, then return it, if you played someone else's copy, what are you complaining about?

Played a mates...and I pride myself on playing as many games from as many genres as I can. I love playing games and I love to enjoy the ones that are good, when they are not good...then I rage.

Also I like the tip about the vehicle jumping, gonna try that.

It's wicked awesome...the first 2 hunters you find are over one such barrier...the Wraith makes mincemeat of them

#10 GayMan3000

GayMan3000

That was sex

• Members
  • 1418 posts
  • Xbox Live:Pants3000

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

Takuya, you're whole approach to this I find to be incorrect.

I mean, f***ing complaining about how nothing's changed. Really?

Think about it. People clearly enjoyed how Halo games play out as evidenced by it becoming this huge sensation etc etc etc. Why change it significantly? What exactly did you expect it to be like and how different were you expecting it to be?

Seriously dude, it's a Halo game. Successful formula for series is obvious. Way to take a positive as a negative.

#11 PandaJenkins

PandaJenkins

Otherwise known as 'Pandy Wandy'

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6123 posts
  • Steam ID:Pandajenkees
  • PSN:Pandajenkins
  • Xbox Live:Panda Jenkins

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

wait wait wait, was Pants just correct and not trolling??? :P holy sh*t, this is a first.

He is correct though. Why would they change the formula to one of the most popular and top selling franchises out there? it seems stupid. And actually when you think about it, the armour abilities is probably the biggest change in formula since the first, and personally I love the addition.

Really though the game feels like a big improvement over 3. The maps and weapons are better and more balanced like 2 was. The menu's are slick and extremely useful and now all the modes are in one game together. There is lots of other good things to mention too though.

If you played Reach expecting a game that didn't feel like Halo then well, you just weren't thinking properly. It still looks and feels like Halo, just with new additions and changes like every game in the franchise has done (except ODST) and just like majority of game franchises in general.

#12 stealyourbike

stealyourbike
  • Xbox Live:StarkGumbus

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:09 AM

I think it is funny that you are all discussing the 6th Halo game, while I am waiting for my copy of Halo: Combat Evolved to arrive in the post. Never played Halo, and seeing as I am broke as, I figured I may as well start from the beginning, can't go wrong for $5 on Trademe.

#13 apocalyptic_daydream

apocalyptic_daydream

whiskey fit

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 5043 posts
  • PSN:daggers_nz

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

the first Halo's not actually that bad

#14 Stark97

Stark97
  • Steam ID:Stark97

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:46 AM

the first Halo's not actually that bad

+1 the First Halo is the best.

Edited by Stark97, 16 September 2010 - 10:47 AM.

#15 Takuyafire

Takuyafire

A lost cause...

• Members
  • 1213 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:00 AM

First Halo was the only one that came out on PC and thus it was amazing.

Even on console it was f***ing fun ;)

But going back, sure its a money maker and this is going back to what I said before (AGAIN!). It isn't fair on new IP's.

You take a game that has legendary status (i.e. Halo) and remake it over and over, it isn't fair to rate each game with the same level of criteria as it will no doubt push all the other games behind it due to its fanboys (see MW2).

Sure that has nothing to do with me personally and personally I dislike repeating series without major changes because I refuse to pay for games over and over...hell it took me ages to even consider buying L4D2 purely for this fact.

I can understand maybe 1-2 games with similar gameplay in a series but like 5? What the f***?

#16 apocalyptic_daydream

apocalyptic_daydream

whiskey fit

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 5043 posts
  • PSN:daggers_nz

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

First Halo was the only one that came out on PC

Not true? Played the second one though, could tell it was going downhill from there

Edited by apocalyptic_daydream, 16 September 2010 - 11:03 AM.

#17 Ubercuber

Ubercuber

Runner up Best Ubercuber

• Members
  • 4069 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

I can understand maybe 1-2 games with similar gameplay in a series but like 5? What the f***?

Go tell that to Nintendo buddy.

Edited by Ubercuber, 16 September 2010 - 11:04 AM.

#18 Takuyafire

Takuyafire

A lost cause...

• Members
  • 1213 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

First Halo was the only one that came out on PC

Not true? Played the second one though, could tell it was going downhill from there

Hmm, I thought it was? Never mind then...2 was crap except for dual needlers which just made you win at everything.

Go tell that to Nintendo buddy.

This made me laugh

#19 Slide

Slide

Hot for Nimrod

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 2630 posts
  • Steam ID:antron81
  • PSN:SlideXII
  • Xbox Live:S1ideXII

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

If I enjoy this, a person who spent about 3 years playing Halo: CE online on PC, then you can all just quit moaning. The campaign has a fresh feel to it in my opinion, got some cool epic levels like the original did. Still giving us a variety of indoor and outdoor levels, plus a few set pieces. Sweet as.

I missed the flood however, but that's what you get for a prequel to Halo: CE. I was really sad when you had to take Cortana to the Pillar cause I knew that the MC was really close by... kinda nostalgic.

The music was alright, I think that it could've had a bit more work.

Multiplayer has come leaps and bounds since the original, you have to admit. And a true to form remake of Blood Gulch makes my day.

#20 PandaJenkins

PandaJenkins

Otherwise known as 'Pandy Wandy'

• Members
  • 6123 posts
  • Steam ID:Pandajenkees
  • PSN:Pandajenkins
  • Xbox Live:Panda Jenkins

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

@Takuya, it isn't fair on the new IP's? You have got to be kidding. I get annoyed that there is too many sequels and not enough new IP's but that isn't Halo or MW's fault, it is the bloody developers fault. They know they can get more sales and profit out of an established franchise and so they continue to do so. And it is also funny that you are criticizing Halo of all games, since Bungie are now making a new IP, something many other developers do not bother to do. They just decided to create one more Halo game that they wanted to be the best in the series. While I haven't played enough of it yet, I don't see it passing the first game since when it came out it was just amazing but Reach offers A LOT and has every mode and such added from all the games in it in one package and from what I am playing Bungie really have made their development on the franchise go out with a bang.

And Halo 2 had amazing online to whoever was saying it sucked ;) It's campaign did go downhill in the second half but the online is what made 2 stand out, and 3 wasn't as good as 2 was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users