#41 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5203 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Dyer's is a relentless uphill but it's never particularly steep and shouldn't be toooo hard ^-^; Depending on how far you had to bike to get to the base, I suppose.
I'd normally roll on up Rapaki and go around the traverse to Vic Park, because that traverse track is so fun :D Vic has dozens of options for the downhill but I usually end up dawdling through the berms and tabletops at the top (I can't keep enough speed to actually jump the tabletops though :-() and pick a random path down from there... I like it when I happen to run into the Sesame Street wall ride, which is super fun, it got a "whoop" out of me on Saturday. :D And.. yeah, more options on the way down, I might go Dyers road or straight, fast 4wd track under the pylons, or Shazza's is good from the clearing, but I have to carefully avoid all the jumps and drops because they're hardcore.

Yah.

Oh, and I was very pleasantly surprised when I decided just this afternoon to take a walk up Worseley's with my girlfriend - I hadn't been up there for 10 years, and the track's the same but there are some very fresh and very(!) fast low-impact downhills being built up there... and heaps of soft single track over pine needles... I can't wait to get the bike up there, there are kilometres of fresh, unrutted trail in that plantation. I saw a douche on a dirt bike go up it while we were there though, so I don't know how long the dirt will look that nice. >__<

tl;dr rapaki-bowenvale.

#42 Electric_Cow

Electric_Cow
  • Xbox Live:Crashardened

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Followed your recommendation last night and headed up Rapaki, the last climb was a b*tch! Then rode along the traverse and down gumtree into vic park and finally onto dyers and home.

Had no idea which track to take down into vic park, A couple of the downhill sections of gumtree really pushed my limits, was almost on the breaks the whole time.

I like the sound of those tracks being built up Worsley.

Edited by Electric_Cow, 09 February 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#43 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yah Vic's the downhiller/grom's choice. There's some crazy stuff there, big jumps right in the middle of the runs, almost horizontal-sweeping berms... it's super fun but you can suddenly find yourself faced with a drop you're really not confident to go over, and have to dodge/brake/scream. And yeah, as I was saying, dozens of options, some are easy, some are rough, some are maintained and some are rutted all to hell. Rapaki's good exercise uphill, you just knuckle down and try to keep it rolling up. :) Fun times.

#44 Electric_Cow

Electric_Cow

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

Yup I found one drop most people would have to be half mad to attempt?!

I drove out to Mount Grey with a mate today, it's 20min west of Amberley. It was a last minute decision to head out there and by the time we parked up it was already 7.30pm.

Bloody stoked we decided to head there though, as it turns out we started out from the car at an elevation of 250m and apparently Mt Grey peaks out at 934m. Almost 700m of climbing... not bad for a Sunday sesh :whistle:

The descent was the highlight though as we reached the car with virtually no daylight left. Got to love last minute decisions :thumbsup:

Edit: Will post a couple photo's tomorrow

Edited by Electric_Cow, 13 February 2012 - 11:52 AM.

#45 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

Random.. Yah, that's a long climb! post photos!

I went up Worsley's on Saturday. It sucked, I don't recommend it unless you like punishing yourself xD It's far steeper than Rapaki, plus rutted and loose all to hell so it's impossible to keep momentum and rhythm. I can't find elevation info online right now but I'd guess it peaks lower than sugarloaf, so maybe 450m or so... and that totally wore me out, so your Mt Grey effort is impressive :D
The reason I went up was to try out that new section of DH, but from the top I ended up going around Flying Nun (fun!) then down old Dyer's so I missed it anyway :-/

#46 Electric_Cow

Electric_Cow

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Here are a few of the photo's I took with my cell, next time I'll take my camera and hopefully get a few better shots.

Posted Image
I think were about 1/3 of the way up at this point, the gradient wasn't too steep here. The summit is way in the background.

Posted Image
The TV tower at the summit.

Posted Image
My bike :)

Posted Image
My mate, taking in the view.

Posted Image
Took this photo as soon as we reached the car, as you can see it was already bloody dark

Edited by Electric_Cow, 14 February 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#47 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

That's a loooong ride :-/ How much distance did you cover to make the 700m of altitude?

Derp and you have a Reign too :D Or an Anthem; I can't tell the difference. COol bike either way though :3 It seems like we're all XC dudes here.

#48 Electric_Cow

Electric_Cow

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

Haha very close... it's a Trance :)

Well we parked the car up and biked approx 8km over rolling hills, when Mt Grey started properly we were still at an altitude of 250m and from there it was a further 6km. 700m over 6km works out at an approx gradient of 11.7% :cool:

The plan is to bike Mt Hutt access road before winter.

Edited by Electric_Cow, 14 February 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#49 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Yah that's a decent gradient.

I wouldn't ever bike that access road because there'd be no fun downhill reward... jsut a gravel road limited by traffic. It'd be cool to know you'd done it, I guess. Hard on the lungs too, I'd guess. Mine don't like cold air.

#50 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Herp derp I went up Worsley's and down the newish bits... they're not super awesome. The softpack is too soft and the rocks are the sharp kind.

#51 Electric_Cow

Electric_Cow

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Bugger I need a new ride, getting sick of Rapaki and the Traverse every other night.

Motutapu this weekend...

Looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

Edited by Electric_Cow, 05 March 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#52 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

Every other night? Wow, you're keen. I only get out there once a week at best, really. I went up Rapaki last Sunday on that "weather bomb" weekend; it was quite nippy up there, lols... I was actually fighting the headwind on the uphill, it was crazy.
The downhill was a bit of a waste though; I didn't want to ride a real track in the mud (don't like ruining the tracks..) so I went down rapaki, but there was too much traffic so it was lame. Seriously, when uphilling I get out of the way of downhillers; I just consider it polite. Some people don't seem to care though.

I got a new crankset yay... it's cool.

#53 Electric_Cow

Electric_Cow

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

Kewl, post before and after pics :D

Have you been out to Bottlelake yet?

I headed up Rapaki on the Saturday arvo, but only got half way up before I had to turn around, it was too windy for me lol, you did bloody well.

I know how you feel, I always stay hard to the left. I hate having to change lines coming down Rapaki, whenever I try to I feel like the front wheels going to wash out in the gravel.

Haha yep keen is one word for it, Motatapu MTB Race is 47km with 1000m of vertical climbing, so I've been riding as much as possible lately.

Edited by Electric_Cow, 08 March 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#54 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

I was like "47km, not too bad" but then I was saw 1000m and was like nah. What's that... like.. three times up and down Rapaki then across to the airport. Zoom.

Oh... just remembered my phone corrupted its SD card and pooed its pants the other day; I've only got this close-up from when I had just installed the crankset:

edit: http://iforce.co.nz/i/i4dpaqvj.dws.jpg

Only saved 90g >_>; but it's super shiny.... so shiny.... ^_^

Edited by emetic, 08 March 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#55 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

had a blat around Bottle Lake today as it was getting dark... it's so lame! I can totally see its appeal as an endurance night-ride track though.

#56 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

Whenever I go up rapaki there are always other bikers overtaking me... it's never the other way around. Dudes must all be fitness freaks.

#57 Smilelikecrazy

Smilelikecrazy
  • Members
  • 91 posts
  • Xbox Live:Smilelikecrazy

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Hi,
I need some new gloves and I looked on torpedo 7 but they didn't have much, so does anyone know of another good online site?

Edited by Smilelikecrazy, 23 March 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#58 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

T7 is rude.
chainreactioncycles.com is the a huge site with lots of everything.

Though if you're just looking for gloves and nothing else so you would rather buy in-country, then try http://www.nzoactive.com/nz/index.php/ to keep it in-country and thus save a few dollars on shipping. Or go to a physical bike store, even, as that way you can check the fit. My last pair of gloves I bought online fit nicely around the palms but the fingers are too short... that sort of thing is annoying.

Oh, also, the Lyttelton Urban DH was cool :D jumps and expensive bikes and fast riders going through very narrow driveways/alleys/stairways and over trucks, etc. :) I'd go again. It's cool how world champ DH dudes go fast and are cool.
(I was spectating; the course would blow my bike up)

Edited by emetic, 26 March 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#59 Smilelikecrazy

Smilelikecrazy
  • Members
  • 91 posts
  • Xbox Live:Smilelikecrazy

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

The shops up here didn't have much selection and there prices are way to high. So ended up getting some fox gloves on chainreaction. Also I broke my chain today in a race so I ordered a new one at the same time on there. They have so much stuff - it's awesome! Thanks for putting me onto that site emetic :thumbsup:

Edited by Smilelikecrazy, 27 March 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#60 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

No worries... they have good sales because they're one of those mass distributors who have big buying power and customer base, plus you're dodging GST and sending your cash offshore instead of supporting your country, but that's cool. If you know what I mean. Their shipping is surprisingly cheap too.
Easy to spend lots though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users