#21 Wozza

Wozza

The next test is impossible

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5789 posts
  • Xbox Live:Wozza NZGamer

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:03 AM

Trying to keep riding through the winter, anyone else battleing it out? I need to get a new seatpost for the Giant and might be a good time to upskill with one of these MTB Skills clinics I have been hearing about. Oh and some trail lights... I hate daylight savings!

#22 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:53 AM

I'm looking for a new (second hand is fine) bike but all the half-decent ones are way out of my price range :rolleyes: Life's tough.
But yeah, definitely want a bike to get out and have fun on in winter.

#23 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:37 AM

I'm buying a new bike tomorrow... and then I'm super broke.

If any Chch dudes or ladies want to go for a cruise up the hills, bottle lake or wherever though, just let me know :)

#24 Wozza

Wozza

• Members
  • 5789 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:35 PM

Awesome news dude, what did you get? You'll love it to bits whatever it is! :thumbsup:

I've done a couple of night rides (fun) and been trying to get some long rides under my belt during the day on my days off. I'm wanting to do some long multi-day rides once summer comes around so need to build my base fitness. Did a 70km (mostly flat) ride the other day and looking to do a few more around that distance before breaking into triple digits.

Posted Image
huttriver by Wozza_NZ, on Flickr

#25 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:15 AM

70km :o Kudos to you. I've done 7.5km each way to work and back four days this week... lols. I had a ride up the Port Hills planned for Sunday but it looks like the weather's going to turn to sleet. Oh, that and I think a lot of tracks up there are closed due to an abundance of loose boulders on the summit road... Earthquakes are dumb.

My bike's a marin mount vision 5.7 exp. - very XC, so it's quite a change from my other bike, which was more... heavy and weird.
I'll post a real pic sometime.

Edited by emetic, 18 June 2011 - 01:13 PM.

#26 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

I went for my first ride of the year today! It was still pretty slushy up on the hills in the shade of the trees.
It looked like plenty of other riders were taking advantage of the sunny weekend though, as I saw about 15 other people up and down through vic park there. I thought that was quite a few for a winter's day.

#27 Wozza

Wozza

• Members
  • 5789 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

Congrats on the new bike, sleek looking machine. Bet it's a heap of fun. Nothing like a new bike, or part to get you out on the trails again!

I've taken a week off riding because of breakages, weather and being slack. But have been doing a few longer rides - didn't quite crack 70km on the computer as I didn't remember to reset it for a few minutes. Done a few more between 50-70km but been doing it all on the fully, XC bike is getting a tune up at the moment so plan to break that milestone soon then work towards triple digits.

Part of that is because of wanting to enter the 80km Taupo MTB race later this year and part of it is because I have become obsessed with this website.

http://www.bikepacking.net

I love the exploration part of the sport so that appeals to me a heap.

That said I'm hanging to thrash some single track soon, I haven't ridden anything techy in ages. Probably because I'm using the Stumpy's seatpost on the Giant and it doesn't go lower than the maximum height I can ride with lol. Need to buy a dropper post...

Did I mention I hate winter?

Posted Image
rode by Wozza_NZ, on Flickr

#28 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:00 AM

Ah, I love that Reign. It's a good looking bike and a good photo too. I totally was eyeing one up on tardme before I got my Marin but someone snaffled it before I did.

So 70km on that though? I'd say a dropper post would be essential for long riding. I do like how my Marin has an unbroken downtube so I have a decent amount of post travel.

Zoom zoom... wow, you have a drink bottle holder. Old schooling.

#29 Wozza

Wozza

• Members
  • 5789 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

Woodhill :)

Posted Image
treasure8 by Wozza_NZ, on Flickr

Posted Image
treasure7 by Wozza_NZ, on Flickr

Posted Image
treasure6 by Wozza_NZ, on Flickr

Good times. Not much elevation there so they did well with what they have, was easily enough to entertain me for two days solid.

#30 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

Looks fun! I've heard good things about woodhill... but from those pics it's got nothing on our Victoria Park. I should post some pics some time; it looks like a lot of people have done a lot of work making whole tracks full of swoopy berms, there's a real nice wall ride, a big section of silly bmx style double jumps, as well as plenty of old fashioned rough downhilling and some easy ways down for the softies, such as myself.
I'll try to get a few pics next time.

Oh... I was gonna say, a friend and I went out on Sunday for a ride, but we (on his advice) took a wrong turn on the way up and ended up on this stupid out-of-the-way walking track which snaked up and around the wrong side of the valley, so we ended up exhaused and sore, walking our bikes up 90% of the climb and ending up going far higher than we'd intended, also taking an extra 30 mins or so so we got caught by sunset once we started making it downhill. It was really not all that enjoyable... though the mud was fun and I got to ride through a few residual patches of snow.

Here's a couple of pics of my bike, anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by emetic, 04 August 2011 - 12:44 AM.

#31 Electric_Cow

Electric_Cow
  • Xbox Live:Crashardened

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

I used to tear up bottle lake a couple times a week. I haven't been on the MTB since the september quake last year though :(

There used to be a group of guys that would ride Bottle lake every Thursday night, I tagged on the back of them one night, it's bloody freaky but I would definitely reccommend it!

Anyway I've just signed up for the Lees valley challenge with a mate, it's 10 weeks away <_< which isn't a lot of time but it should be fun all the same.

Edited by Electric_Cow, 11 August 2011 - 08:26 PM.

#32 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:10 AM

That looks like a mission :) Good luck! I wonder if I could ride 80km... I'd be dubious about my chances of success even if it was on flat tarmac, lol. nah, I could do it, but I imagine I'd cross the line somewhere past the 4 hour mark.
I've only been out to bottle lake once... it was fairly casual, but more importantly all rideable so it was good. Spent half an hour assing around on a jump there, which was fun. That was back on my old "death trap" bike so it was a bit scary, actually.
I do prefer the hills in general, but now I've got more of a cross country bike maybe I should try out the bottle lake... if it's open? I heard it was closed but I'm not actually sure.

Edited by emetic, 12 August 2011 - 12:11 AM.

#33 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

I wonder how that Lees Valley Challenge went.

man, it's good to get out on the bike in the summer - you know it's getting warm when your tyres are getting that "snap, crackle, pop" on the melting tar seal. I did a quick blast up rapaki, traverse, down victoria park and back home, in just over 2 hours... That must be some sort of record time for me. Feels awesome now.. gotta do that more often.

#34 Electric_Cow

Electric_Cow

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

It was a mission! 10 weeks training wasn't anywhere near enough, but it was epic all the same.

I haven't biked at all over the past couple months, I had a crash and lost all motivation to get back out on the bike. In retrospect I'm kicking myself for stopping as I'm back at square one now.

I biked Bottlelake Sunday and again yesterday. I doubt I could make it up to Victoria Park at the moment :(

It's going to be a long hard slog over the next couple months to get back to where I was, but I'm actually looking forward to it :)

#35 Wozza

Wozza

• Members
  • 5789 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

Did my back in for a couple of months, but back on the bike.

Funny thing is. since getting back on the bike I have been focussing on riding downhill. Can't say I have been hitting huge hucks, but have been riding steeper more technical stuff faster than before and having a lot of fun. I need to put some k's in though as I feel I have lost a lot in terms of distance and uphill riding. Each time I go out on the bike though, I seem to take the bigger bike and head somewhere with some good DH.

Would love to do a few more events like Rainbow Rage and Karapoti. Awesome stuff Cow doins that Lees Challenge!

Couple of shots of a mate from recent rides:

Posted Image
matt491_2 by Wozza_NZ, on Flickr

Posted Image
berm3 by Wozza_NZ, on Flickr

#36 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Oh right, I was about to query that being your "bigger bike" :D
Looks cool! Smooth trails there.

I went up and down half of Crocodile (Kennedy's Bush) last week; that was fun. It was an epic bike day for me though: 7.5km to work --> after work 6km to friend's --> 20km to, up, down and home from the track. We didn't even go to the top of the hill though, due to it getting late in the day and him being horrifically unfit.

Hey so what's Bottle Lake like these days? I've been meaning to head out there but haven't bothered yet.

#37 Electric_Cow

Electric_Cow

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

Bottle Lake is worth a look, it's great for someone looking to build up some strength, speed and endurance but it doesn't compare to the tracks around the Port Hills.

I'm keen to enter a couple events next year too, somehow I need to find a way to train over winter...

#38 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

Cool.. so no huge silt piles or quicksand or anything? :3

#39 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

I had a blast around the hills again today because I ate so much for lunch and felt I needed to work it off. Lol it was awesome.

The dirt jump scene is alive and well down here, I notice; there's a little jump park (I think it's privately owned and maintained) at the base of the Bowenvale track and there were a good 40 people there just hanging round, doing stunts, got the video camera set up and the dubstep on the PA and everything.

Cats.

#40 Electric_Cow

Electric_Cow

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

I rode up dyers yesterday, the plan was to ride along the bowenvale traverse and down Huntsbury but I was shattered by the time I reached the Sign of the Kiwi. About to head back out shortly and try again...

Hey Emetic, what tracks do you ride up on the Port Hills?

Edit: Haha no silt piles

Edited by Electric_Cow, 06 February 2012 - 03:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users