• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#1 GenBattle

GenBattle
  • Steam ID:genbattle
  • PSN:genbattle
  • Xbox Live:SevenGen

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

About a year ago i decided i might as well make use of my new $600 mountain bike. Now i actually enjoy mountain biking as much as gaming, i just don't usually have the time (daylight) or gear to do it.

Most people think of mountain biking in terms of downhill racing, but i'm more of a cross-country person myself. This is mainly because i do mountain biking for fitness, and because i don't have the skills yet for taking more technical downhill terrain and jumps at any speed. My favourite track atm is turitea rd/greens rd, a 4wd/bike track up in the hills behind Massey University. Next summer i'll hopefully be taking my bike to the redwoods in rotovegas.

Also just overhauled my bike; replaced chainrings, cranks, cassette, chain, bottom bracket and front deralieur. Total Cost: just over $300. On top of this, i just bought i bike rack which attaches to my boot, so i don't have to drop $400 on a tow bar (yay).

There's actually a surprisingly large number of places to mountain bike around palmerston north, and if i want a real challenge i can always head to wellington.

So is anyone else here into mountain biking? What's your bike like? Where do you like to ride?

#2 Rapidity

Rapidity
  • NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• [NZGR] - Clan Killzone 2
  • 2320 posts
  • PSN:Cruise_Elroy
  • Xbox Live:Cruise Elroy

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:36 PM

I've got a mongoose, its not bad just heavy, suited to downhill mostly. If your ever in Christchurch you have to check out the porthills and rapaki track.

Mostly I'm on my road bike though, a Scott CR1

Edited by Rapidity, 14 January 2010 - 06:37 PM.

#3 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5203 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:36 PM

I have a Coyote ultra light but it spends most of its time on the mag trainer these days. It still has some mud from its last ride about a year ago though.

But yeah, the port hills around christchurch are pretty sweet all round. I like to go up rapaki or through victoria park and cruise around there... heaps of little tracks around. Like, many heaps.

GenBattle, that kind of overhaul for $300 is extremely cheap o_o and yeah, DH and jumps are for the extreme sports crowd with too much money to spend. Mind you, practising jumps is a great way to get your skills going. and fun.

#4 Jogga

Jogga

Hockey is MMA on ice.

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Tester
  • 5846 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:20 AM

I used to do a bit of mountain biking, not so much anymore.

I'd love to get back into it, just can't afford a decent bike any time soon.

#5 Rapidity

Rapidity
  • NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• [NZGR] - Clan Killzone 2
  • 2320 posts
  • PSN:Cruise_Elroy
  • Xbox Live:Cruise Elroy

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

But yeah, the port hills around christchurch are pretty sweet all round. I like to go up rapaki or through victoria park and cruise around there... heaps of little tracks around. Like, many heaps.

Yup I generally come down through Bowenvale or Huntsbury. There are some insane tracks round Victoria park, especially the nats downhill track. I don't think my balls are big enough for some of those jumps.

#6 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

Yeah, there are indeed... the kind where you're jumping several metres across and down :-/ I've never been a good jumper. Never done the forty (is it still called that?) or the one in the lower clearing. Those are for the fearless extreme kids who don't mind thrashing their $5k+ DH bikes. I haven't done any big jumps or anything since I sprained my ankle in a lame crash, like, three years ago when I tried to go down a very-short-but-very-steep section. Lols. I don't really ride much anymore, actually.

I haven't been down huntsbury since the '90s o_o

#7 Wozza

Wozza

The next test is impossible

• Members
  • 5789 posts
  • Xbox Live:Wozza NZGamer

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

How did I miss this thread?

21 Mountain Bike rides so far this year and climbing. :thumbsup:
Heres my StunpJumper pre-abuse
Posted Image
Also have a road bike which will probably get some use when winter hits.

#8 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:03 AM

^ Zoom zoom, looks like a bike for a tall person. Looks very new or very meticulously washed and cleaned.

Here is my bike. Excuse the mess in the spare room atm and the poor photo.

Posted Image

Edited by emetic, 21 April 2010 - 02:07 AM.

#9 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:27 AM

lol fail

#10 Wozza

Wozza

• Members
  • 5789 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

^ Zoom zoom, looks like a bike for a tall person. Looks very new or very meticulously washed

49 rides in now, here it is after todays ride. Will wash it later, at the moment it's chilling next to the dehum with my shoes.

Posted Image

Got my chunkier pedals on and seat slammed from the way back down the mountain, was slip, slip, slippy today! Should chuck some mud tires on sometime...

#11 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

Got my chunkier pedals on and seat slammed from the way back down the mountain, was slip, slip, slippy today! Should chuck some mud tires on sometime...

Where abouts is that?

The bike still looks brand new clean anyway o_o Have you sprayed it with scotch gard or what?

#12 Wozza

Wozza

• Members
  • 5789 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

Thats a part of Belmont researve. Bike is muddier than it looks, has a heap of scratches in the frame, same as my car, silver looks clean even when it isn't lol.

Been using yours much lately?

#13 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:23 AM

Nah, I cbf even putting a slick tyre on my spare wheel so I could ride the mag trainer.

A couple of months ago I rode around the flatlands for a while every weekend for, like, three weekends in a row >_> and I took it up the port hills and down again... good times. Yeah nah, I've gotten lazy again. I even went and bought a new set of lights too.

Yeah nah, that silver is good. It looks tidy.

Edited by emetic, 22 May 2010 - 02:24 AM.

#14 Rockajay

Rockajay

Ride the Lightning

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Blue VIP

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Xbox Live:Rockajay

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

Ever since I got my car I haven't been on a push bike... I used to love my old BMX though

#15 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:13 AM

Ever since I got my car I haven't been on a push bike... I used to love my old BMX though

Yeah, I'm somewhat the same. Except I still bike a little bit. Barely walk anywhere anymore :-S

#16 Wozza

Wozza

• Members
  • 5789 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

*bump

You guys still at it?

Did a heap of riding last year, highlight being the Queen Charlotte track in the Marlborough Sounds. Got myself a new toy this year too which I'll be taking out if I'm tackling the rougher stuff.

Posted Image

#17 argsy

argsy

aka Mr Grumpy

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 1987 posts
  • Steam ID:argsy_nz
  • PSN:argsy

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

Haven't seen this topic before. :rolleyes:

Went for a ride on Monday in Rotorua on my back to Palmy from Tauranga. Trails were a mess after all the wind/rain mainly trees and debris. Was still good fun though!

Current rig is an Giant Reign 3 (06?) Would love a new bike but can't justify it with the lack of riding I'm doing at the moment. Still a good frame, so might just make do with slowly upgrading components, starting with the brakes!

Have plans to do the Queen Charlotte ride sometime. How many days did you do it in?

#18 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:28 AM

Wooooow cool bike. I'd love a new bike too, but again can't justify it considering I've only been taking it up the hills about twice a year.
I just bought some new brakes and a helmet online though, so that might motivate me to get out on it a bit more. Helmets are aweosme.

#19 GenBattle

GenBattle
  • Steam ID:genbattle
  • PSN:genbattle
  • Xbox Live:SevenGen

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:52 AM

Heh, i've probably been out half a dozen times in the last year. To be fair i don't really have anyone to ride with (poor excuse, i know) and there's not many really awesome places close to parmy, and it's always such a drama cleaning it afterwards.

Last year i bought a new bike, 2009 Giant Xtc2. Kinda sucks to not have a full suspension rig, but it seems to pay off on the uphills. A much better quality bike than my old avanti atomic (avanti ftl). Since then i've put road tyres on my old bike so i don't have to be as meticulous about cleaning my giant when i get back from rides, since i don't ride it to work every day anymore.

Last ride was 2 weeks ago up at K-Loop. First time up there, and it's definitely a step up from Santoft Forest. Also went up to Woodhill in Auckland while i was visiting my parents about 3 months ago, which was real good fun. Also bought night lights this year, so i'm fully equipped for night rides during the winter now. Only remaining issue really is transporting my bike. Currently I use a strap-on bike rack which clips to my boot. Kind of a pain, and the bike slaps against the car a bit unless i cover it in bungee cords.

Probably hit K-loop this weekend if anyone's keen.

Edited by GenBattle, 28 January 2011 - 08:53 AM.

#20 Wozza

Wozza

• Members
  • 5789 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

Ooops thought I had replied here. Still biking heaps, had a good off, lost a lot of skin last week and just did my first event this weekend. Entered a 12 hour relay with three mates. Exhausting but good fun, wasn't sure if I'd enjoy organised riding but it was fun and the social aspect was cool. Would do again. Was a good excuse to get the Specialized out instead of the Giant too.

Current rig is an Giant Reign 3 (06?) Would love a new bike but can't justify it with the lack of riding I'm doing at the moment. Still a good frame, so might just make do with slowly upgrading components, starting with the brakes!

Have plans to do the Queen Charlotte ride sometime. How many days did you do it in?

Th Reign is an awesome frame (gotta say that since I just bought one). Components make all the difference. Did QC over three days, but was a late start on day 1 and early finish on day 2.

Wooooow cool bike. I'd love a new bike too, but again can't justify it considering I've only been taking it up the hills about twice a year.
I just bought some new brakes and a helmet online though, so that might motivate me to get out on it a bit more. Helmets are aweosme.

Haha new purchases usually get me out on the bike pretty well... Tested the helmet yet?

Heh, i've probably been out half a dozen times in the last year. To be fair i don't really have anyone to ride with (poor excuse, i know) and there's not many really awesome places close to parmy, and it's always such a drama cleaning it afterwards.

Last year i bought a new bike, 2009 Giant Xtc2. Kinda sucks to not have a full suspension rig, but it seems to pay off on the uphills. A much better quality bike than my old avanti atomic (avanti ftl). Since then i've put road tyres on my old bike so i don't have to be as meticulous about cleaning my giant when i get back from rides, since i don't ride it to work every day anymore.

Last ride was 2 weeks ago up at K-Loop. First time up there, and it's definitely a step up from Santoft Forest. Also went up to Woodhill in Auckland while i was visiting my parents about 3 months ago, which was real good fun. Also bought night lights this year, so i'm fully equipped for night rides during the winter now. Only remaining issue really is transporting my bike. Currently I use a strap-on bike rack which clips to my boot. Kind of a pain, and the bike slaps against the car a bit unless i cover it in bungee cords.

Probably hit K-loop this weekend if anyone's keen.

Not having trails nearby must suck a bit (move to Welly), I generally go out with or without mates and have fun either way. Having mates around makes the pedally or pushing bits better but means you can go at your own pace and concentrate on your riding a bit more. I usually explore tracks when nobody else is coming then show my mates the new trails I found

Heard good things about K-Loop would like to be shown around sometime and get out of Welly for a day... only thing is I have Tuesdays and Wednesdays off...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users