1930 replies to this topic

#21 arnies

arnies
  • PSN:arnienz

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

Top Gear Track.
Logitech don't make wheels for Xbox.

Therefore buy GT5

EDIT: Whoah and head tracking is awesome: http://www.gtplanet....king-explained/

Edited by arnies, 07 January 2010 - 05:47 PM.

#22 tkd_matt

tkd_matt

Meet Amiganaut

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 1066 posts
  • Steam ID:tkd_matt
  • PSN:tkdmatt
  • Wii:7837 2118 2421 3733
  • Xbox Live:tkdmat

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:46 PM

It just seems like Polyphony Digital are just too traditional and too late on so many aspects, they've had their day, now it time to move over for more modern initiatives.

Here i was thinking GT5 was going to be the best in the series.

By modern initiatives you mean?

- Head tracking via PSEye
- WRC rally events
- NASCAR events
- F1 Events
- Weather effects
- Day/night time racing on each track (not sure i believe that)
- 1000 cars modelled exteriors and interiors (F1/stock/rally/hybrid/electric/concept/road and race cars)
- 16 player online and offline races
- Uploading replays in HD to Youtube (I know in FM you can upload to the Forza site, but that's not in HD afaik)
- GTTV - download car shows like Top Gear and other car events
- Graphically second to none
- Improved physics model
- audio is Dolby 7.1
- range of wheels it supports

- There's even been talk of a track editor

Do these things not fall under that catergory? Are any of these even featured in Forza 3? Sounds like your definition of modern initiatives is entirely community based.

Yeah, modern initiatives much like how Web 2.0 came about. Adding in F1/rally isn't new, GT2 added in rally, other games have added in other driving types, therefore, late to the game. Damage/physics(Forzas cars can roll, and the tire physics are more realistic) , done before, they're late, adding more cars, weather, and day/night, done in other games, it's just missing all the modern features games have.

This is a solid package, and I never said it would suck, it will be a great game in it's own right, just a little too generic and lacklustre, and not as fun as other games. Reminds me of Killzone 2, looks great, plays great, does everything right, it's just generic and been done before. I couldn't get into that, doubt I'll get into this either.

Part of what disappoints me is what they are missing out on, 1000 cars would be great if you could customise them and sell them on the marketplace, have all the included community features and a feature that Forza has with top racers/friends list peoples times being available to you at each race as well as their ghosts for you to watch. If your friend played the whole game online you can watch any of their races. They also had Forza tv features as well as online racing, the ability to play with 8 tvs, HD screenshots I remember from F2, plus a whole bunch of stuff I haven't fully explored in F3. Just look at a F3 features list, a lot there that GT doesn't have, including a personalised career, and it doesn't have those god-awful license tests (hated those since GT1).

Check out the rewind feature on Grid, that did it well. The rewind feature is a game changer for me personally, I find that later into these games then you're doing really long races, that by the later laps I start to get bored, next thing I've crashed from lack of cencentration, I give up in frustration, turn it off, never play it again, because I have far too busy a lifestyle. The rewind feature takes away that pain.

I'm really not a fan of having rewind how it is in Forza in GT5 at all. If they do put it in the game there should be a penalty for using it.

There is a penalty for using it in F3....

#23 onehitter09

onehitter09
  • NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Silver VIP

• [NZGR] - Clan Killzone 2
  • 3732 posts
  • PSN:OneHitter NZ
  • Xbox Live:OneHitter NZ

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

Umm no there isn't. Unless i missed it?

#24 tkd_matt

tkd_matt

Meet Amiganaut

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

It doesn't count your lap times, basically what you're doing doesn't count, cos it's basically easy mode.

#25 Donutta

Donutta
  • NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• 6801 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

I think you have to also think about what market this is intended for. Despite what people try and claim, Japanese games are developed with the Japanese market in mind. Why? Because the developers are Japanese and that's what they can relate to. The Web 2.0 features of Forza are lost on the Japanese as a lot of Japanese people don't even own a computer. They do it all through their phones.

Which reminds of a funny story. A mate of mine is teaching over there and the net was cut off to the school one day because of a test. They wanted to stop cheating, apparently. He was like "WTF? All cell phones are connected to the net!" Talk about facepalm moments.

#26 mattRSK

mattRSK
  • NZGamer.com VIP Blue VIP

• 153 posts
  • PSN:mattRSK944

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

EDIT: Whoah and head tracking is awesome: http://www.gtplanet....king-explained/

Yeah Woah! Imagine that on COD it would be unbelievable considering I am always trying to look around corners with my head lol.

#27 onehitter09

onehitter09

• 3732 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

It doesn't count your lap times, basically what you're doing doesn't count, cos it's basically easy mode.

Lap times ain't that important to me in Season play. Not much of a penalty.

Forza 3 is getting raped in this thread!

#28 onehitter09

onehitter09

• 3732 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

Yeah Woah! Imagine that on COD it would be unbelievable considering I am always trying to look around corners with my head lol.

Oh that day will be coming. It would be awesome with head tracking on any FPS.

#29 tkd_matt

tkd_matt

Meet Amiganaut

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

I think you have to also think about what market this is intended for. Despite what people try and claim, Japanese games are developed with the Japanese market in mind. Why? Because the developers are Japanese and that's what they can relate to. The Web 2.0 features of Forza are lost on the Japanese as a lot of Japanese people don't even own a computer. They do it all through their phones.

This is a big reason why I don't get excited for Japanese games anymore. Was a huge fan in my teens and played any jrpg or japanese action game I could get my hands on, seems progression slowed for them, while western games are constantly innovating.

Only jrpg I've been interested in is FFXIII but I think that's because I'm trying to recapture the experience I had when I played FF4-FF10 in my teens.

#30 onehitter09

onehitter09

• 3732 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

Logitech don't make wheels for Xbox.

Therefore buy GT5

Some company make sweet porsche wheels for xbox. Clutch and 6 Speed H-Patterns with them too. I think these wheels work for PC & PS3 too.

#31 tkd_matt

tkd_matt

Meet Amiganaut

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

Lap times ain't that important to me in Season play. Not much of a penalty.

Forza 3 is getting raped in this thread!

What do you mean it's getting raped? GT has been on the defense, people trying to justify it's existence. And most of the GT defense is from people who haven't played either game, go figure.

#32 onehitter09

onehitter09

• 3732 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

I have played both (Well the GT5 Time Trial) and i am a fan of both games so therefore GT5 rapes F3 IMO.

#33 arnies

arnies
  • PSN:arnienz

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

Who cares whats better really? GT5 is the best racing game on PS3. F3 is the best on 360. This is a Ps3 forum so I don't really get why F3 lovers come in and say "Its good, but not as good...".

Who cares if F3 is 'better' in some parts. Forza isn't on ps3!

#34 Twilight_Aurora

Twilight_Aurora
  • PSN:Twilight_Aurora

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:47 PM

I haven't played Forza 3, as i don't have a 360. There's no doubt its a great game though, just the scale of some of GT5's features outshadow it, such as the 1000 cars, with exterior and interior modelling, plus interior damage for 170 or so cars. And the head tracking could become a revolutionary feature, being incorporated into future games, fundamentally changing the immersion and interactivity of these games.

GT5 has had around 5 years of development time, it is bound to be more polished than Forza 3, that is undeniable in the end.

#35 Donutta

Donutta
  • NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• 6801 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

I've also noticed that Japanese games are getting more Japanese. What I mean by that is think of games like Mega Man, Metroid, Super Mario Bros. and Sonic. Heck, even Space Invaders, Scramble, and Pac-Man. Do they feel "Japanese" to you? Now look at Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden... heck, it even oozes through in Gran Turismo. (The music that plays when you come first in a race in 5P is only something the Japanese could think is a good idea to put in.) Meanwhile, Western games are getting more Western, so we're ending up with more things that follow the eat-sh*t-and-die, brown-and-grey-are-the-only-colours-we-need mentality. Kind of sad, really. I guess that's why I like Nintendo, as their games still feel universal.

#36 Deanology

Deanology
  • PSN:Yes

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:16 PM

Hey there,
can anyone please confirm something for me..
Now, i was talkin GT5 with my mate.
I'm quite amped about it coming out soon, and he told me that alot of cars are going to be DLC and most of which you will have to pay extra..
Please tell me this is not true..

#37 Illmatic

Illmatic

[NZGR]

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6262 posts
  • PSN:Stillmatic
  • Xbox Live:Stilmatik

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:17 PM

Yeah, modern initiatives much like how Web 2.0 came about. Adding in F1/rally isn't new, GT2 added in rally, other games have added in other driving types, therefore, late to the game. Damage/physics(Forzas cars can roll, and the tire physics are more realistic) , done before, they're late, adding more cars, weather, and day/night, done in other games, it's just missing all the modern features games have.

We haven't been talking about other games. We've been comparing Forza and GT. Bring in other games and it makes your "giant leap" statement even more odd, and a 'late list' is nonsense.

Part of what disappoints me is what they are missing out on, 1000 cars would be great if you could customise them and sell them on the marketplace, have all the included community features and a feature that Forza has with top racers/friends list peoples times being available to you at each race as well as their ghosts for you to watch.

If your friend played the whole game online you can watch any of their races.

You can do that in GT5, it's even in the recent time trial demo. You can download ghosts off friends or from the top of the leader board, their replays also.

1000 cars would be great if? Pretty sure you can still earn/buy them, tweak and drive them all yourself. There's meant to be an online garage (though Polyphony haven't mentioned it recently, maybe dropped the idea?). If they were on to it they'd make it possible to exchange cars online, we'll have to see what happens there though, i wouldn't hold me breath. :thumbsup:

They also had Forza tv features as well as online racing, the ability to play with 8 tvs, HD screenshots I remember from F2, plus a whole bunch of stuff I haven't fully explored in F3.

The Photomode feature in console racers started in the GT series. In GT5 the minimum resolution for photos you can take will be 8 megapixels (3768 x 2120), the max they're aiming for is 20 megapixels (5960 x 3352).

Just look at a F3 features list, a lot there that GT doesn't have, including a personalised career, and it doesn't have those god-awful license tests (hated those since GT1).

Maybe that's why you like the rewind feature so much? The license tests teach you how to play the game well. If you do them you won't need a rewind feature, you'd only need the rewind feature if you pick up and play the game without any experience.

Check out the rewind feature on Grid, that did it well. The rewind feature is a game changer for me personally, I find that later into these games then you're doing really long races, that by the later laps I start to get bored, next thing I've crashed from lack of cencentration, I give up in frustration, turn it off, never play it again, because I have far too busy a lifestyle. The rewind feature takes away that pain.

I'm really not a fan of having rewind how it is in Forza in GT5 at all. If they do put it in the game there should be a penalty for using it.

There is a penalty for using it in F3....

Every review i've read says there isn't. Even the devs say there's no penalty. What's the penalty? edit: Just seen your reply. I wouldn't call that much of a penalty, the devs don't seem to think it is either.

Edited by Illmatic, 07 January 2010 - 10:52 PM.

#38 Illmatic

Illmatic

[NZGR]

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6262 posts
  • PSN:Stillmatic
  • Xbox Live:Stilmatik

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:21 PM

Hey there,
can anyone please confirm something for me..
Now, i was talkin GT5 with my mate.
I'm quite amped about it coming out soon, and he told me that alot of cars are going to be DLC and most of which you will have to pay extra..
Please tell me this is not true..

I'm not sure about their DLC plans, but the game is confirmed to have 950+ cars on the disc.

#39 Koopa18

Koopa18
  • PSN:galaxiid
  • Wii:galaxiid (nintendo network id)
  • Xbox Live:gravitygrace

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

I guess that's why I like Nintendo, as their games still feel universal.

Until Other M :thumbsup:

#40 tkd_matt

tkd_matt

Meet Amiganaut

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:30 AM

Just look at a F3 features list, a lot there that GT doesn't have, including a personalised career, and it doesn't have those god-awful license tests (hated those since GT1).

Maybe that's why you like the rewind feature so much? The license tests teach you how to play the game well. If you do them you won't need a rewind feature, you'd only need the rewind feature if you pick up and play the game without any experience.

I did every single license test in GT1-4, mainly because I felt the need to have to do them, but when it comes down to it I'm not in high school with a lot of free time on my hands, back then I could only afford so many games so a game like GT kept me busy for ages and I had the time to get real good at them, but now I just don't have the time to do time wasting tests I just want to play the game, and the rewind feature makes it more pick up and play.

But really you need to stop getting so defensive over your precious GT, everytime I come in and state my disappointment over something (PS3 specs, GT5 lack of features etc), you get all super defensive(you wrote a defense for each thing I said), just face it, not everyone is going to love everything. This is only my opinion, I'm just a fan who expects much more in a sequel(be it hardware/software) I'm sure you will love the game, and you're obviously someone who has the time to put into a game like this, I'm not, so just chill out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users