Gran Turismo 5

• Please log in to reply
1930 replies to this topic

#1 arnies

arnies
  • PSN:arnienz

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:04 PM

http://kotaku.com/54...ercedes-sls-amg

The cover car is the Mercedes SLS AMG. Commonly known as the Gull Wing (the is an article in the NZ herald today if you wana look).

Posted Image

Also here is some extra info:

- Deformation for every car in the game although race cars will see even more damage
- First screens of GT5's night racing
- 1,000+ vehicles, all with modeled interiors
- Up to 16 players online
- Indy cars and tracks will be included
- Head tracking is reconfirmed and it's for use during racing
- Multi display is back (using 3 PS3's for a wider view)
- HD uploads to YouTube
- Weather
- Night racing for all tracks

- All cars will have cockpit view (the 170 premium are the ones on which the interior will also damage - the rest only external damage)
- Night & Day cycle and weather effects on all tracks
- Damage (visual and mechanical)

This makes me super excited. 1000+ cars?! Holy crap. All cars have damage too that is awesome, I didnt expect that. and also damage INSIDE the cars for 170 of them is sweeet

#2 Gazza22

Gazza22

Yeah, Nah, Definitely

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Tester
  • 2450 posts
  • PSN:High_Fiiive

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

1st WOW. What a feature list. Turn 10 will be regretting the pre release trash talk. 'Definitive'? Really?

2nd WOW. Nice cover art.

3rd WOW. We didn't have a GT5 thread before this?

And I'm really starting to dig the new cover template. Seems to compliment allot more cover art now.

#3 Illmatic

Illmatic

[NZGR]

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6262 posts
  • PSN:Stillmatic
  • Xbox Live:Stilmatik

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

This game will be huge, can't wait! :thumbsup:

On damage, i wouldn't expect much more than engine/tyre damage and scratches etc on most of the cars, with the others getting more thorough damage (dents, bumpers/doors coming off) like they'd shown at TGS.

Night and day racing on all tracks if true is awesome news! Head tracking could be a great feature too, i'd definitely test that out and see if it's worth using.

It'd be interesting to see what the weather system is like. I'm not expecting much out of the weather outside of snow and water on the track, but if there's rain falling with wipers in cockpit view then holy sheeit.

HD YouTube uploads, 1000 cars and 16 players online is huge news as well.

#4 onehitter09

onehitter09
  • NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Silver VIP

• [NZGR] - Clan Killzone 2
  • 3732 posts
  • PSN:OneHitter NZ
  • Xbox Live:OneHitter NZ

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

This game is shaping up real good. Looks like it is going to blow FM3 away and that is a very good racing game.
Lets hope there is some form of customisation too. I would like the option to put custom designs on my cars and a few bodykits.

#5 Donutta

Donutta
  • NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• 6801 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

If this lives up to the hype then both Turn 10 and PandaJenkins are going to have egg on their faces. :thumbsup:

#6 onehitter09

onehitter09

• 3732 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

I thought FM3 was going to be a better racer then GT5 but boy was i wrong. After playing that GT5 Time Trial I found out what was the better racer/simulator. Plus another 1000 reasons to get this game :thumbsup:

#7 tkd_matt

tkd_matt

Meet Amiganaut

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 1066 posts
  • Steam ID:tkd_matt
  • PSN:tkdmatt
  • Wii:7837 2118 2421 3733
  • Xbox Live:tkdmat

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

Wow, we waited this long for that lackluster list? Really? More cars and damage? I thought with this announcement there would be something game changing, I've been a huge fan of GT1-4 and own all 4, this will be a pass.

I really thought they'd take that extra time to catchup and surpass the giant leap Forza 2/3 made. But they've missed a lot of the features that make that game "fun", such as all the community features, auction house, exterior customisation, the rewind feature, etc, this will be a huge disappointment for me.

#8 onehitter09

onehitter09

• 3732 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:40 PM

Lol GT5 is a 'simulator' and doesn't have arcade features like FM3 aka Rewind Feature.
And a giant leap by F2/3 you say? Hmm if 2D trees are a giant leap then GT5 must be flying!

#9 chinaman71

chinaman71

[NZGR] Nomnomnom...

• Members
  • 2648 posts
  • Steam ID:NZRDT1
  • PSN:RDT1
  • Wii:RDTNZL
  • Xbox Live:George Bush Jr

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:44 PM

Lol GT5 is a 'simulator' and doesn't have arcade features like FM3 aka Rewind Feature.
And a giant leap by F2/3 you say? Hmm if 2D trees are a giant leap then GT5 must be flying!

'lolz' was gona say the same thing...... simulator wise ferrari challenge is better than forza :thumbsup:
GT5 aint meant to be fun its cereal

#10 tkd_matt

tkd_matt

Meet Amiganaut

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

If it's a simulator why has the AI been so bad in all the version so far. And you could crash into all the other cars/barriers to cheat, it was more arcadey, this one will only be as fun as the previous ones, only better graphics/more cars.

Forza is also a simulator, with a few optional arcade features, I really like the rewind, takes the chore out of playing the game. My dad and my casual gamer mates can also enjoy the game without tearing their hair out. Forza is "fun", Gran Turismo is just "pretty".

But hey, this is just personal opinion and please take it that way, I sure the PS3/GT fanboys are about to pounce.

Edited by tkd_matt, 07 January 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#11 Illmatic

Illmatic

[NZGR]

• Members
  • 6262 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

Rewind? No thank you. Auction houses, exterior customisation etc would be a nice addition, but it's not a big feature at all, just a cosmetic thing. I wouldn't consider any of that as a "giant leap".

#12 p1nkm15t

p1nkm15t
  • Steam ID:p1nkm15t
  • PSN:p1nkm15t

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

*Dons asbestos suit

Forza for the Kiddies, GT for the grownups :thumbsup:

Edited by p1nkm15t, 07 January 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#13 tkd_matt

tkd_matt

Meet Amiganaut

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

Rewind? No thank you. Auction houses, exterior customisation etc would be a nice addition, but it's not a big feature at all, just a cosmetic thing. I wouldn't consider any of that as a "giant leap".

Have you played Forza 2/3? If you did you might see what makes it so great. GT5 might have something special that makes it great so I'll be giving it a rent, but based on released info and Prologue/time trial demo that I've checked out so far it's very average.

It just seems like Polyphony Digital are just too traditional and too late on so many aspects, they've had their day, now it time to move over for more modern initiatives.

Check out the rewind feature on Grid, that did it well. The rewind feature is a game changer for me personally, I find that later into these games then you're doing really long races, that by the later laps I start to get bored, next thing I've crashed from lack of cencentration, I give up in frustration, turn it off, never play it again, because I have far too busy a lifestyle. The rewind feature takes away that pain.

#14 Soyerz

Soyerz

Pronounced 'Soy-a-sauce'

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• 5447 posts
  • Steam ID:Soyerz
  • PSN:Soyerzz
  • Wii:Nimmy_is_just_Super
  • Xbox Live:Soyerz

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

You would not belive how helpful the rewind feature is until you play Forza 3. What Matt said, you need to play it to see how helpful it really is.

#15 Donutta

Donutta
  • NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• 6801 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

I've only played Forza and Forza 2, but I was certainly not that impressed with Forza 2. The game felt... unfinished. No music during races? Only interior views rendered for some cars? There's probably more but it's been a while since I've played it.

I looooooooooved Forza though. I suppose that's because it supported custom soundtracks and I could turn off that awful drudge that they tried to pass off as rock and chuck on some of my own tunes. Don't know if I would have liked it as much otherwise. :thumbsup:

Oh! My point was the customisation. That never really appealed to me. I've seen some people do some amazing things with it, but for me the reward did not justify the effort. The editor is just too clunky and horrible. If they could let me draw something on my Mac with a tablet and then export it to the game as a giant decal, I'd be all over it. But as it stands, it doesn't even come on my radar, so I'm not moaning about the absence of it in GT5.

Just my 2c. :unsure:

#16 onehitter09

onehitter09

• 3732 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

I am still going to rebuy F3 when i get my 360 but GT5 will be my preference over FM3.
The reqind feature is useful on F3 but takes away from the 'simulator' experience. Part of racing is to work on your mistakes, Not rewind and slow the heck down.
On F3 i hardly ever use the rewind feature because i got use to the driving and only ever needed to rewind was when i was falling asleep at the wheel LOL!

#17 onehitter09

onehitter09

• 3732 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

Forza is "fun", Gran Turismo is just "pretty".

I use to think GT5 was JUST pretty. Dude try the time trial and you will think otherwise (Well i did).
I was also on the F3 will sh*t over GT5 band wagon but not anymore :thumbsup:.
Heck Turn 10 are charging players for new cars they release. GT5 comes equipped with over 1000 cars. Hmmm i don't think PS3 will need DLC for a while.
Also i like the fact that out of those 1000 cars they are all not 'supercars'. I will be able to get into all the cars i like: Cefiroz, Laurels,Silviaz, Evos, RX3/4s and FC RX7s...

Edited by onehitter09, 07 January 2010 - 04:50 PM.

#18 arnies

arnies
  • PSN:arnienz

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:02 PM

BTW those features are from a comment on Kotaku but were referenced. Apparently all the info is in the PSM thats out now [in the US]. So they should be all pretty much 'real'.

As for the F3 vs GT5 debate I think forza is a lot more arcady than GT5 and that appeals to some people. The rewind thing is cool, and is helpful (I played it in Grid) but its completley unrealistic. Same feature got added into Madden and had same effect with some people loving, some hating. I'm not sure which one I prefer. I'd probably like to learn to driver better than suck and rewind all the time though.

But overall I think GT5 will be far more polished. It looks like they will contine to update it too whihc s great. I hope for small things like custom soundtracks and stuff (not a fan of the Gt style songs). But really, you can't beat over 1000 cars, Full HD at 60fps and 7.1 surround. They've spent 5 years making it. I'm sure it will be amazing

Edited by arnies, 07 January 2010 - 05:10 PM.

#19 Illmatic

Illmatic

[NZGR]

• Members
  • 6262 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

Have you played Forza 2/3? If you did you might see what makes it so great. GT5 might have something special that makes it great so I'll be giving it a rent, but based on released info and Prologue/time trial demo that I've checked out so far it's very average.

I played a lot of Forza 1 but i haven't played Forza 2/3, i sold my 360 just before FM2 released. Then again, neither of us have played GT5, so what we have so far is the bare minimum. I wouldn't expect either prologue or the demo to be representative of the final game either.

It just seems like Polyphony Digital are just too traditional and too late on so many aspects, they've had their day, now it time to move over for more modern initiatives.

Here i was thinking GT5 was going to be the best in the series.

By modern initiatives you mean?

- Head tracking via PSEye
- WRC rally events
- NASCAR events
- F1 Events
- Weather effects
- Day/night time racing on each track (not sure i believe that)
- 1000 cars modelled exteriors and interiors (F1/stock/rally/hybrid/electric/concept/road and race cars)
- 16 player online and offline races
- Uploading replays in HD to Youtube (I know in FM you can upload to the Forza site, but that's not in HD afaik)
- GTTV - download car shows like Top Gear and other car events
- Graphically second to none
- Improved physics model
- audio is Dolby 7.1
- range of wheels it supports

- There's even been talk of a track editor

Do these things not fall under that catergory? Are any of these even featured in Forza 3? Sounds like your definition of modern initiatives is entirely community based.

Check out the rewind feature on Grid, that did it well. The rewind feature is a game changer for me personally, I find that later into these games then you're doing really long races, that by the later laps I start to get bored, next thing I've crashed from lack of cencentration, I give up in frustration, turn it off, never play it again, because I have far too busy a lifestyle. The rewind feature takes away that pain.

I'm really not a fan of having rewind how it is in Forza in GT5 at all. If they do put it in the game there should be a penalty for using it.

Edited by Illmatic, 07 January 2010 - 05:14 PM.

#20 p1nkm15t

p1nkm15t
  • Steam ID:p1nkm15t
  • PSN:p1nkm15t

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

GT5 should have the Top Gear track as well.

The article is a little old :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users