drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10899 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

No I wouldn't be annoyed at The Warehouse because, well they don't provide an essential service for one, but even if they did, in your scenario they would still be operating. What you're saying is the equivalent of 1 train been cancelled due to a driver quitting

No I was using a smaller scale example to prove the point that the relationship between staff and employer isn't our business.

Our relationship is with the rail company and they aren't able to provide the service tomorrow because they failed to have enough staff available.

I'll use a different hypothetical then.

Let's say an it company starts up in Wellington taking on thousands of staff.

Among those thousands are all of the rail staff as they all apply and get jobs.

The rail company fails to hire any staff for 4 weeks and as a result, 1 day they have no trains available.

Would you begrudge people getting new jobs? Despite the loss of the essential service to You? Or would you begrudge the company tasked with providing the service you are paying for who failed to provide the service?

well no, but that isn't what's happening is it, and even for a hypothetical that is very far fetched

I'm all for standing up to management, heck I approached my boss 4 times and his boss twice, over a period of 2 years, to push for a pay review as I believed I wasn't getting a fair deal.

That whole time I kept working my hardest, I didn't attempt to cripple a city in the process, I didn't even interupt 1 client's day, I just kept trying to negotiate between my boss, his boss, and myself. Btw it eventually worked and I got a payrise without having to take drastic measures

But from an overview point, it is whats happening.

As paying customers it isnt our responsibility to care about how they manage their resources, just if they provide their services.

The company isnt providing their service because they are under resourced.  They have had the chance to stop this happening, but chose to risk it, probably hoping the staff wouldn't strike because they didn't want to inconvenience people.

The company risked your convenience tomorrow to save themselves costs, and their gamble is costing you your service.  be pissed off at the people who risked it.  If the company was sufficiently resourced then maybe the strike would have little to no impact, but that's not what they have done.

They are letting you suffer so they can save money.  They strike that doesn't impact the customers didn't work, so they are forced to do this.

I have struggled to find the details on why they are striking but it is because they are removing some of their current rights/benefits.  So they aren't just inconveniencing you to get 20 cents extra an hour, its because they are losing what they currently have.

Frustration at employees for the inconvenience caused by them fighting for their rights, and the company saying sod it, the customers can suffer, is just inherently wrong in my opinion.

#32282 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10899 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

Or how about this analogy.

If you go to Subway and they don't have any bread.  Do you get pissed off at Jeff's flour mill for not getting enough flour to Subway?  Or do you get miffed at Subway for not sourcing enough flour to make their bread and therefore serve you? 

The reality is the company running the show has had the chance to provide you the service and chose not to provide you the service to save their shareholders money.

#32283 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4357 posts
  • Steam ID:mvon007
  • PSN:mvon007
  • Xbox Live:mvon007

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

They ran out of everything but Wheat bread on World Sandwich Day a few weeks ago!

#32284 womz

womz
  • Steam ID:womzz
  • Xbox Live:Womz

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

the problem is that the strike isn't hurting Transdev, it is hurting a good portion of Wellington's citizens and employers.

A majority of people who catch the train don't have much choice. Those rich enough to drive don't catch the train. The one's that do catch it rely on it, and will keep using it no matter the reputation of Transdev.

The strike may bring some public awareness, not that they are making it overly public what the issues are, but it sure as hell aint going to stop 30,000 regular train users from using the trains until the company gives into the union

#32285 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10899 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

the problem is that the strike isn't hurting Transdev, it is hurting a good portion of Wellington's citizens and employers.

A majority of people who catch the train don't have much choice. Those rich enough to drive don't catch the train. The one's that do catch it rely on it, and will keep using it no matter the reputation of Transdev.

The strike may bring some public awareness, not that they are making it overly public what the issues are, but it sure as hell aint going to stop 30,000 regular train users from using the trains until the company gives into the union

That's the point though.  They aren't striking at you.

I want to make this super clear, they aren't striking you!!!!  They aren't trying to inconvenience you!

They are saying that if their employer is going to keep taking sh*t away from them, they wont turn up to work.

The reason you are being inconvenienced is because Transdev doesn't care about you enough as a consumer to ensure the service you pay for is available.

They could not take away rights, they could put on alternative services, they could do a multitude of things.  Because it will cost them money, and inevitably their shareholder less profit, they don't care about pissing their consumers off.

Transdev has taken enough away from their staff that their staff want to not turn up for work. I'm sure that if your employer took enough away from you, you would cross a line where you didn't turn up for work.  And it is your employers responsibility to continue keep customers/clients happy, with or without you.

Just to be ultra clear:

The only reason you are impacted tomorrow, is that Transdev does not care enough about you as a consumer, to ensure the service operates tomorrow.

The staff are just their resources, that they are failing to manage.

If all of the engines broke down tomorrow, and there had been warnings in advance, would you get pissed off at steel?  I doubt it.

Transdev is f***ing you over tomorrow.  and if you cant empathize with people being f***ed by their bosses, and would rather blame the resources, rather than the company selling the service to you and not meeting the requirements, I cant help you.

#32286 ZombieRawkMachine

ZombieRawkMachine

Minister of Sinister

• Members
  • 8336 posts
  • Steam ID:ZombieRawkMachine
  • PSN:ZombieRwkMachine
  • Xbox Live:DrSinIsIn

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

That's the point though.  They aren't striking at you.

I want to make this super clear, they aren't striking you!!!!  They aren't trying to inconvenience you!

They are saying that if their employer is going to keep taking sh*t away from them, they wont turn up to work.

The reason you are being inconvenienced is because Transdev doesn't care about you enough as a consumer to ensure the service you pay for is available.

They could not take away rights, they could put on alternative services, they could do a multitude of things.  Because it will cost them money, and inevitably their shareholder less profit, they don't care about pissing their consumers off.

Transdev has taken enough away from their staff that their staff want to not turn up for work. I'm sure that if your employer took enough away from you, you would cross a line where you didn't turn up for work.  And it is your employers responsibility to continue keep customers/clients happy, with or without you.

Just to be ultra clear:

The only reason you are impacted tomorrow, is that Transdev does not care enough about you as a consumer, to ensure the service operates tomorrow.

The staff are just their resources, that they are failing to manage.

If all of the engines broke down tomorrow, and there had been warnings in advance, would you get pissed off at steel?  I doubt it.

Transdev is f***ing you over tomorrow.  and if you cant empathize with people being f***ed by their bosses, and would rather blame the resources, rather than the company selling the service to you and not meeting the requirements, I cant help you.

tumblr_lv1yzzD8Ii1qdshi4o2_500.gif

#32287 womz

womz
  • Steam ID:womzz
  • Xbox Live:Womz

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

well I might have some empathy if it didn't look like they're throwing a tantrum to get attention, which will very likely having no effect on the company

Are they cutting hourly wage rates? Are they removing basic employee rights like sick and annual leave? Is the company trying to keep their costs down by reducing staff numbers?

And how would you provide resources for approx 400 staff walking off the job with less than 48 hours notice?

#32288 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10899 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

well I might have some empathy if it didn't look like they're throwing a tantrum to get attention, which will very likely having no effect on the company

Are they cutting hourly wage rates? Are they removing basic employee rights like sick and annual leave? Is the company trying to keep their costs down by reducing staff numbers?

And how would you provide resources for approx 400 staff walking off the job with less than 48 hours notice?

So your not empathizing with people who has said "f*** it, if you are going to just f*** me over, I wont turn up tomorrow"?

This isnt a temper tantrum.  This is months of negotiations failing, and a strike that didn't inconvenience you failing, and TRANSDEV choosing to inconvenience you rather than keep providing their staff their current levels of pay (including non cash).

So Transdev likely knew about this strike for more than 48 hours, but chose to not stop it.  They chose to inconvenience you because its cheaper that way.

Just remember, if you buy a phone and the screen cracks, to be consistent.  Make sure you blame the screen and not the companies providing it to you because you blame the resources for failing, not the companies you pay the money to for the good and\or service.

Either that or your saying the only resource you don't give a f*** about is people.

This total lack of empathy for people is starting to piss me off so I will need to bow out of this.

I am personally going to complain to Transdev because they are failing to provide a service I pay a lot for.  And their failure to attain necessary resources for the service due to the price, is their responsibility, not mine, or the resources itself. 

#32289 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10899 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

HA irony.  the contact us page on their website is failing to work.

Though I'm blaming them, not the physical (or virtual) server itself.

#32290 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5965 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

What are they striking for does anyone know? (other than a vague generalisation)

#32291 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10899 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:48 PM

What are they striking for does anyone know? (other than a vague generalisation)

I haven't been able to find it, they have just said that Transdev is trying to remove things afforded to them in their contracts.

Union probably isn't allowed to give details on the specifics.

#32292 ZombieRawkMachine

ZombieRawkMachine

Minister of Sinister

• Members
  • 8336 posts
  • Steam ID:ZombieRawkMachine
  • PSN:ZombieRwkMachine
  • Xbox Live:DrSinIsIn

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

Basically they are trying to f*** over staff and get rid of things like bonuses, overtime pay, put them down to minimum wage all those bullshit things that are in the collective agreements. The collective agreement is when the union reps negotiate the contract with (generally) a company's human resources discussing things like breaks, pay, training, bonus etc and all those kinda things they are trying to take away to increase profit on the back end.

They have already started the protest and collecting signatures and in response to this Transdev have been trying intimidation tactics which aren't working and now have the police involved.

#32293 Gonzala

Gonzala
  • PSN:Gonzala137

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:02 PM

I ordered some T-Shirts from the UK. They sent one in the wrong size - now I need to send it back to them.

$16.30 to send a T-Shirt to the UK.... jeeze.

Edited by Gonzala, 17 November 2017 - 04:32 PM.

#32294 Gonzala

Gonzala
  • PSN:Gonzala137

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:25 PM

That sucks but it should still be under its one year warranty since its a hardware and not a software fault.

I bought it brand new like 6 years ago... warranty is long gone. I took it into the Spark shop - they said it would cost $200-300 to send it away to be looked at. More than what it's worth so no point. Then I took it to the local technician who tested the capacitors, starter chip and screen - he couldn't find a solution. So now I have to buy a new phone.

#32295 BigC

BigC
  • PSN:NZBigC

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:26 PM

The Sims 4 expansion pack on Ps4 costs $64(not to mention game packs at $32 a pop)!!! With the amount of expansion and game packs The Sims brings out, you will probably be looking at well over half a grand when all is said and done.

#32296 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5314 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:09 AM

The Sims 4 expansion pack on Ps4 costs $64(not to mention game packs at $32 a pop)!!! With the amount of expansion and game packs The Sims brings out, you will probably be looking at well over half a grand when all is said and done.

Relevant

the-original-money-whore_o_2072891.jpg

#32297 sakuraba

sakuraba

I know what you did last summer

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1601 posts
  • PSN:subtime
  • Xbox Live:subtime

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

EA has really made themselves look so greedy with all their recent releases.

#32298 souljah685

souljah685
  • PSN:souljah685

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:42 PM

I suffer from back pain which is caused from my hip being out of place and vertigo... have to agree with Dvst8u don’t give up hold onto hope and research success stories of ppl who have similar problems... I always look at my kids and they sorta drive me to be better and often help me get outta bed and be optimistic in life.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cant, Even, First, World, Problems

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)